Depth hold mode : ROV sinks to bottom

Hi,

The last few times I used my BR2 and activated “Depth Hold mode”, the ROV went straight to the bottom (which was, fortunately, not very deep and sandy). This happened to me a couple of times. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t.

Any idea what causes it?

I was lucky this time that we were somewhere with a sandy bottom… but if it had been solid hard bottom, the ROV would have been damaged for sure.

I checked for other similar issues but most answer point toward a bad configuration of the thrusters. I don’t think this is it because sometimes it behaves correctly.

Thanks for reading!

Lea

Are you getting good, accurate depth information from the depth sensor? Which sensor are you using?

I’m not using any external added sensors. Only built-in sensors from the BlueROV. And as displayed on QGroundControl, the depth always seems accurate.
Also, FYI, I have the “heavy” version.

Hi @katlea,

Can you try updating to ArduSub 4.1.0? We recently made that the latest stable version, and it should hopefully fix this issue :slight_smile:

I was planning to make a post a couple of weeks ago about the main changes for ArduSub 4.1.0 (and QGC 4.2.3), but am currently travelling and didn’t manage to get it out beforehand. There are a number of depth hold improvements, which in the meantime you can read about in the release notes.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if this depth hold issue was finally resolved.

Any updates from those using ArduSub 4.1.0?

Cheers,
Etienne

Actually, after unmounting it for travel, two of the side propellers were switched. Switching them back fixed everything.
But we did indeed update Ardusub and it’s much better!

2 Likes

@etienne I had a problem with the ROV slamming itself into the bottom when switching to depth hold, and I haven’t had the problem since I updated. I think I’m using 4.1.

Depth Hold Problems? - Blue Robotics Software - Blue Robotics Community Forums

1 Like

Great, thanks for the update guys.