Home        Store        Docs        Blog

Using the BLUART USB to Serial through the Rpi

(Etienne Demers) #1

Hello guys,

Is it possible to use the BLUART (clever name by the way) to communicate with an arduino from the surface via a USB port on the Rpi?

I basically just want a pass through.

Intention is to use an arduino with ethernet shield at the surface connected to buttons and talk to the arduino subsea via the usb port on the RPi.

I can do this using my network mod ( http://www.deltarov.com/new/product/br2-network-upgrade/ ) but I do not want to waste a port for doing this when the Rpi has 2 free ports just sitting there taunting me :slight_smile:

Thank you,
E.

(Patrick José Pereira) #2

Hi Etienne,

Yes it’s totally possible ! BLUART can be used to do TTL UART or RS485 <-> USB, the drivers are also available in your raspberry image, so it should be plug and play : )

(Rusty) #3

Hi Etienne,

Patrick is right that the BLUART will appear immediately as a serial port on the Raspberry Pi, however, that serial port won’t be forwarded to the surface. We have some tools available in Companion to forward that port through a UDP port, but it’s fairly challenging to create a virtual serial port at the surface.

So, if you’re fine communicating to a UDP port instead of a serial port at the surface then you can get this to work right now. We can explain more if that works for you.

-Rusty

(Etienne Demers) #4

Hello Rusty,

Not only does that work for me but it is exactly what I want. I do not want to use a serial port at the topside.

Cheers,
E

(Etienne Demers) #5

I was wondering if I could plug the arduino USB directly to the Rpi to achieve the same thing.

(Jacob) #6

Check out the doc in progress here: https://github.com/bluerobotics/ardusub-gitbook/blob/companion-routing/operators-manual/companion-web.md#routing

There are a number of ways to do this, but there is a built in tool for convenience in companion.

(Etienne Demers) #7

Thank you Jacob I will look into it.