BR2 Used as a surface vessel with GPS antenna

I am looking to use BR2 to run grid pattern on the surface while using the Ping Sonar to run a bottom survey. Wondering if I can use fly mode of QGround to view BR2 (GPS) postition with corresponding Ping Sonar data. Is it as simple as running external antenna from BR2 above water line? If I could simply view ROV position in Map View simultaneously with Ping Viewer data it would work for my immediate needs. Any input would be much appreciated.

Here is the reference for GPS positioning.

Is it as simple as running external antenna from BR2 above water line?

Yes, a few of us have tried these modifications and a compatible GPS module plugged into the GPS port on the Pixhawk works. This was done back in the day (2016), but everything still works with the current software releases: Report on internally mounted GPS sensor

If I could simply view ROV position in Map View simultaneously with Ping Viewer data it would work for my immediate needs.

Ping sonar data (acoustic range) isn’t integrated into QGC yet, but you can set up both windows on your monitor and see both. Something like this:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that information. Looking at buying the 3DR uBlox GPS w/ Compass. Looks like it should be plug and play right into Pixhawk. Do you think this will work inside the electornics enclosure possibly few inches under surface of water?

Thanks,

Doug Trail

WT Industries, LLc

Houston, Texas

832-731-7098

kklemens
Kevin
Blue Robotics Applications Engineer

August 15

Yes, a few of us have tried these modifications and a compatible GPS module plugged into the GPS port on the Pixhawk works. This was done back in the day (2016), but everything still works with the current software releases: Report on internally mounted GPS sensor

If I could simply view ROV position in Map View simultaneously with Ping Viewer data it would work for my immediate needs.

Ping sonar data (acoustic range) isn’t integrated into QGC yet, but you can set up both windows on your monitor and see both. Something like this:

Hi Kevin,

FYI running side by side windows for QGround and Ping and recording with a screen recorder is exactly what I envisioned and was hoping for.

Thanks again,

Doug Trail

WT Industries, LLc

Houston, Texas

832-731-7098

kklemens
Kevin
Blue Robotics Applications Engineer

August 15

The last time I tried surface positioning was in 2018 and I used one of these because it was small and I could mount it as high on the E-tray as I could get.

From my experience and water lapping over the acrylic tube and I would lose GPS signal. It only really worked when I commanded the BlueROV2 to a “full surface” and raised the tube out of the water a little bit. I definitely recommend a mast for reliable results unless you are comfortable popping the ROV out of the water to get a fix.

I also have a Tritech Micron Sonar set up for RS 485. Is it possible to use Bluart USB Serial 485 adapter to plug into RasPi to bring signal up along with the Ping Sonar and run simultaneous all on same single ethetnet signal from the tether interface board?

There isn’t any support for RS485 accessories with the Companion Image on the Raspberry Pi. Using the BLUART USB to Serial through the Rpi - #2 by patrickelectric