Ongoing DVL-A50 issues

Thanks @EliotBR .
I’ve installed Companion 1.0Beta5 but I can’t really resolve DVL issues until I get the compass to stop spinning.
Also, each time the system boots, the direction and speed of the spinning is random

Following up on this, @williangalvani has recommended trying the latest ArduSub beta firmware because it’s very recently been updated, and he hasn’t come across the compass drift issue on that version. It should be possible to update to from the Companion web interface System page, or via QGC if you directly connect your Pixhawk to the topside computer, or from the Autopilot/Firmware tab if you’re using the BlueOS Beta (select “Sub” for the vehicle, wait for the available firmwares to load, then Beta is the bottom option in the dropdown).

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 9.38.45 pm

I installed Ardusub Beta - Compass stopped spinning but I got an ‘Depth Sensor is not connected’ alarm when I put the vehicle in Depth Hold Mode. I Reverted to STABLE-4.0.3 and got the depth back, but the compass is spinning again.
I haven’t looked into what’s required to get the DVL talking now. I figure there’s no point until the compass is sorted.

Hi,

Make sure that BARO_EXT_BUS is set to 1.
Please let me know if that solves the issue.

Hi Willian,
Yes, BARO_EXT_BUS was set to 1. Still not getting any depth.

Hi,

try settting BARO_PROBE_EXT to 768 and then reboot. I’ll check why that is not the default.

That worked. Now it can go into depth hold mode with Ardusub BETA.

As for the DVL, do I go to Available Services to see if it’s running?

Hi, we haven’t finished the thirdy-party product integration yet, so for now you need to ssh into the Raspberry PI (username: pi password: raspberry) and run this:

sudo docker run -d --net=host -v /root/.config/companion:/root/.config --name=companion-dvl-all-in-one --restart=unless-stopped williangalvani/companion-dvl:all-in-one

Thanks. Now the Waterlinked DVLA-50 at port 9001 is listed as an available service and the Status is Running at http://companion.local:9001/ but vehicle still can’t go into Position Hold mode.

The dvl driver adjusts most required parameters for it to work. It may require a reboot, though.

Is there a good lock in the dvl?

If there is a good lock but you can’t get into position hold after restart, please share a log so I can take a look at your parameters.

DVL has a good lock and I had rebooted the vehicle and DVL.
I rebooted the vehicle again to get a new, smaller log file to share and now it can’t connect to Ardusub (video and companion are working) Here is the last log
2022-02-01 09-56-17.tlog (2.7 MB)
before I rebooted.

Thanks!
You need to set these additional parameters (EK3_SRC1_***). I’ll update the code so others trying to use it don’t go through the same hassle.

1 Like

These are the parameters I changed:
EK3_SRC1_POSXY from 3 to 6
EK3_SRC1_VELXY from 3 to 6
Still can’t go into Position Hold.

Update: I can get Position Hold but the vehicle runs away. DVL’s Dead Reckoning show it drifting so the vehicle runs away in Position Hold mode.

Hi Willian,

I’m integrating another DVL A50. Has third-party integration been added to BlueOS yet? I’m just wondering how much of the information in this thread is still relevant or if this is a new way of integrating it.
The Ardusub integration page still guides you to http://192.168.2.2:2770/waterlinked for configuration.

Also, I’m trying to use the Web Terminal to install the DVL service, but I just get a spinning icon.

Hi @gcelec,

The DVL integration is expected to work, but still requires being installed as an extension.

You should be able to

1. Turn on Pirate Mode
  2. Go to “Tools / Version Chooser”
  3. Update to the latest BlueOS beta release
  4. Go to “Extensions / Extension Manager” (in the sidebar)
  5. Install the BlueOS Water Linked DVL extension
  6. Wait for “DVL A50” to appear in the Extensions section of the sidebar (it may take a little while to install and start up)
  7. Access the DVL interface and set the current position
  8. The vehicle’s position should now be shown in QGC

The ArduSub parameter setup on that integration page is still relevant, but in general the docs at ardusub.com are currently “stale”, and not being actively updated.

We’re in the process of transitioning the documentation to a new system (which the existing BlueOS docs are already using), while also creating proper documentation for ArduSub 4.1 and BlueOS 1.1-beta, so unfortunately there’s a flux period at the moment where there are two documentation locations, and the latest beta features (including the details and usage of the new extension system) do not yet have clear documentation available.

I understand that can be a source of confusion while the transition is ongoing, but (as something to forward to) the new system should allow us to more easily and clearly document features in different versions, and provide several other improvements that will make our documentation more consistently available and correct going forwards.

I believe that’s a known bug in BlueOS 1.0.1 (the latest stable), but it should be fixed in recent beta versions :slight_smile:

I have DVL connected and operating but can’t get position_hold mode to engage.

The following are the versions of software I have currently:

From GUI latest 1.0.2 is what is installed from extensions Software Version 2.2.1 (says new version available 2.4.0)

Navigator Firmware 4.1.1 beta
BlueOS 1.1.0 – beta 23
QGC 4.2.3

I was going to try and reload a different BlueOS but now the BlueOS software says that there are not WIFI networks available even though I am connected to internet on separate page in same browser. Rebooted computer, ROV etc several times and nothing works.

In addition I am having issues with stabilize and depth hold modes have become jerky and unstable. Double checked all recommended parameter / PID changes changes for DVL integration and all good.

If I was to start all over could you tell me all the Firmware / Software versions you recommend?

Since I can’t connect via BlueOS to internet do I need to flash a new SD Card?

1 Like

Hey Doug,

Testing our ROV to see if can help you. We are able to get our depth hold and position hold to work.

We are using GUI latest v1.0.2 on BlueOS DVL extension, with software version 2.2.1 on DVL as well.
Our Navigator firmware is 4.1.0 Stable
BlueOS version is 1.1.0 - beta 22
QGC version is 4.2.6

Since you said that you double checked your perimeters, everything should be fine there. I am curious about you not having WIFI for the BlueOS when it is working for your browser. Do you have the ROV in the water when you are checking that? Your ROV will lose wifi connection when submerged in the water, so when updated/changing software versions, you will need to take the ROV out of the water if that’s the case.

Overall my guess is that it is with the current Navigator firmware you are using. I can’t fully remember, but that issue seems familiar with when we were having position hold issues in the past.

Here some photos of our versions:

Screenshot 2023-07-20 115807

Thanks for your assistance. Would have never occurred to me that ROV in water would affect Wifi connection as assumed it would be simply the topside computer adapter.

I switched the Navigator firmware 4.1.0 (Stable) and no change.

Installed 1.1.0 - beta 22 and no change. Note was running beta 23. I tried Beta, 24, 25, and 26 and none of them connect with DVL.

Installed newest Qground Control 4.2.8 no change.

Note select Position control via controller or screen and won’t turn on. Have solid bottom lock. Note also that altitude using rangefinder doe not display.

Hey Doug,

Have you set the IP address of the DVL to 192.168.2.95?

Can’t remember where that was to check again but thought seen on an information page. The DVL is connected via GUI in BlueOS and operates with good bottom fix. But I tried to access GUI be putting 192.168.2.95 in browser address bar and doesn’t connect / times out.