Home        Store        Learn        Blog

Newton Gripper Jaw Modifications

Hi everyone,

Looking at creating some 3D prints, and wanted to see what work was already done in the space. I would like to be able to either attach to, or substitute the jaws on the Newton Gripper with 3D prints, thinking perhaps an extended claw, a claw with two flat surfaces meeting rather than interlocking, perhaps something like a digger bucket which could increase the volume of area grabbed? Another idea would be an addition which allows an amount of flex in the jaws, perhaps something with room for a spring attachment which would allow for sensitive objects to be gripped.

Application for reference - looking to sample coralline algae on pebbles, and medium sized invertebrates. I think the current jaws may be too “precise”, and would prefer something that grabs from a bigger area.

Would love to see some peoples designs for inspiration or CAD models!
-Jack

1 Like

Hi @Marruger,
Check this:

Hope this help.

2 Likes

Hi @Marruger, sounds like a fun project! :slight_smile:

@slensgra posted recently about a project with a modified gripper - there’s some more information in the manipulator section of their linked blog post.

There’s also:

Note the gripper mechanical properties, and drawings and 3D models we provide in the technical details tab of the gripper product page, which will be useful for designing custom jaws or an extension to the existing ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks very much Eliot and Ender!

Finding my way through CAD and building onto the (very helpful) technical drawings provided by Eliot - this should be a breeze. Will post again once finished!

-Jack

2 Likes

Morning all,

As promised, here are two iterations of my alternate jaws for the Newton Gripper.

Testing, design ect is still underway, but keen to hear peoples thoughts / experiences

Sediment sampler / Cup Gripper
https://grabcad.com/library/bluerov-round-cup-gripper-1

30% Longer, face meeting gripper
https://grabcad.com/library/bluerov-v3-gripper-1

Feel free to edit / improve these, if you do - post back your adjustments for all to learn from!

Cheers!
Jack

2 Likes

Cool designs!

I’m intrigued by the small pyramids along the bottom edge of the face-meeting gripper. Are they offset so they would effectively slot into each other when the gripper is closed, or is the idea that the points will meet?

Have you had a chance to try them out yet? :slight_smile:

Thanks Eliot,
The outer teeth are made to meet, then the face has a slight concave through the middle to add some angle to the contacting face. This design has been quite good for picking up individual small objects off of the bottom, the big increase in its grip being right up at the end, where the existing jaws tended to be a little awkward. This set of jaws is certainly aimed for smaller scale object manipulation!
-Jack

1 Like

That’s really excellent! Thank you! I will certainly print the cup gripper and let your know :+1: