Home        Store        Learn        Blog

Ipad as Bluerov2 control

Hi! I am new to Bluerov2 and like to know if any of you are experienced users of MAC or ipad as ROV controller. I am planning to use either an ipad pro or an Macbook Air as control unit, but would like any feedback from you if there are any good or bad experience with this choice?

Hi @Roksund, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

QGroundControl, the ‘ground control’ software we use for controlling the ROV should work on Macs and iPads, provided the device meets the recommended specs. In saying that, we normally don’t recommend using tablets or phones for controlling ROVs because it’s generally difficult to make an ethernet connection with the tether, or USB connection if you’re using our FXTI (which comes with the ROV).

I personally use a MacBook Pro and a PS5 controller, but any Mac/iOS supported controller should work.

Macs tend to be pretty decent at decoding video, so the main considerations would be

• SSD storage space if you’re planning to record a lot of video
  • screen brightness if you’re expecting to operate in bright sunlight without much shade/cover
  • battery life if you’re planning to operate for multiple hours without somewhere to charge
1 Like

Hi,

you can also try my iPad app for BlueROV.

Let me know if you need help with setting it up.

Grega

i’m testing your application with ipad pro, really nice, but i can’t find the command to tilt the camera. However, you did a wonderful job!