Control BlueROV2 with iPad

Hello,
I have created an app to control your BlueROV2 with iPad. It replaces QGroundControl.
You can connect via USB Ethernet (Apple dongle) or Wireless if you connect to Fathom-X to router.
It supports bluetooth game controllers or you can use on-screen virtual joysticks.
The app has free trial so you can test it with your setup.
Your feedback would be more than welcome :slight_smile:

App Store link:

Best,
Grega

9 Likes

Hi Grega, nice work !
Can you share how was your experience doing such thing and what we could improve in our documentation to help this kind of work ?

It was quite a lot of work, I had to wrote the MAVLink from scratch. Maybe in future it would be nice if ROV had more SocketIO commands, especially for controls of lights, gain… now it had to be done via virtual buttons like in QGC, also reading parameters one by one is slow. And the video broadcast could be optimised for iPad.

Best,
Grega

Hi Grega, thanks for your input.

About the necessity of MAVLink to communicate with the ROV, the next companion release (0.0.21), will allow both GET and POST methods via REST API for all MAVLink messages available.
So, no MAVLink library will be necessary, only a simple url library.
We have plans to support GraphQL subscription and others modern alternatives to help with performance and periodically updates, but this will probably take much longer.

We are doing some work in the video backend, with plans to support multiple cameras and RTSP output. If everything goes fine, it’ll be available in companion release 0.0.22.

3 Likes

Hi Grega,
I also work with a Titan from Genneino, piloted by an IPAD with a joystick.
We can do it with your application ??

Hi, I don’t know what software runs the Titan. If it is ArduSub it could work.

1 Like

Well done. How is the video latency?

Can I please have items required along with costs thanks

Regards
Grant

Hi Grant,

best is cable connection with

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-USB3-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM

and

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC704LL-A-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00W7W9FK0

Best,
Grega

Thanks heaps for that, now to price up. Is there a way to use IPad screen for visuals plus laptop for setting etc?

Regarads
Grant
Oz

There is no connection to computer QGC, so no. What kind of settings would you like to have?

To be honest, just want a better screen as the laptop in bright sunlight it’s hard to view unlike the IPad. Currently I go below decks to view, pop my head out occasionally to see where the ROV is then back down again.

Any ideas?

Regards
Grant

Hi Grant

A quick and easy way to assist you to view the screen

Thanks Scott,

You in Oz?

Regards
Grant

Just saw your in Sydney (I’m in Melb) and just the person I can ask about sonar as well it seems. Would/could you send contact number please?

Regards
Grant

Hi Grant
i use an ipad as a second screen to a macbook pro by using this feature in the latest OS. Use iPad as a second display for your Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Alternatively, you can use an app called Duet to achieve the same thing.
cheers
John

Thanks ever so much for you reply, unfortunately I don’t have a Mac so I’ll try the secondary method.

Again thank you, appreciated you reply :+1:

Regards
Grant

Hi John,

I have tried asking the developer of the Duet however unfortunately they aren’t making much sense thus I make ask the expert :clown_face:

Ok using my HP laptop as the main operational source along with my Bluetooth XBox hand controller for the drone out on the water (as in boat, miles from shore) will the Duet work if I don’t have Wifi? The way they are explaining it is I need the IPad and laptop to be on the same Wifi network but I can’t, least that far out at sea?

Have I missed something?

Any ideas?

Regards
Grant

Hi Grant

I don’t use that set up any more ( I am now using a Toughpad which has a much better screen brightness and also does away with the need for the laptop) but I seem to recall being able to connect the laptop to the ipad with a usb to lightning connector and therefore not needing to use a wifi connection. It might also be possible to connect them both by bluetooth but that might introduce latency problems with the video. The ipad most definitely has to be in a shaded location or under a hood as the screen brightness is still far less than optimal for outdoor use.
Every morning I wake up hopeful that somebody on the forums has come up with a 1500 nits 15" screen with QGC running on something like a LattePanda with a 4 hour plus battery in a Pelican case for less than 2k because the whole issue of an open laptop near saltwater is a weakness in the system.
cheers
John

Hello Grega, your app looks neat, but I can’t seam to connect. My QGC on the iPad connects with my BROV-2, I have the Fathom-X topside with USB, is there any setting that I should do. Thanks
Denis