Control BlueROV2 with iPad

Sorry for the late reply. Can you please try the latest update from last week?

Hi Grega

Nice work! I have been wanting to use an iPad for years. I am particularly keen now because the larger Pro version allows the screen to be set at 1600 nits if it is HDR so I want to try to make that possible. If anybody out there would know how to convert the cam feed on a BR2 to HDR, I would love to hear from you. 1600 nits is plenty sunlight viewable.
cheers
John

I just bought a bluerov2 with fathom interface. I saw that we need the camera interface and Ethernet adapter to connent to ipad and use your app. But I don’t understand how to connect these things together as the fathom interface has only one USB-B port. How do you connect ethernet cable?

Hi, you only need an Ethernet adapter now.
Plug the Fathom interface into the adaptor. Bring the iPad charging cable to the adapter to get power for the Fathom interface and plug the adapter into the iPad.
In the next few days, I will release a beta new version of the app with a lot of changes and new features. Please wait for the update to test it since it solves a lot of problems.
Do you have a Bluetooth game controller?

Grega

I do have an xbox one BT controller. But I still fail to understand how to interconnect this :frowning: Too stupid! I mean, the Ethernet adapter has a lightning end an a RJ45 female connector, whereas the Fathom tether interface box has a female USB-B connector.

Hi @Johnny, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The FXTI box contains the following setup:

tether (on the outside)
-> connector 
-> twisted pair 
-> Fathom-X 
-> ethernet cable 
-> ethernet (F) to USB-A (M) adaptor 
-> USB-A (F) to USB-B (F) adaptor
-> (on the outside) USB-B (M) to USB-A (M) cable

It won’t be quite as neat, but you can open up the box and use an ethernet cable to connect directly from the Fathom-X to your RJ45 (F) to lightning adaptor.

Note that the ethernet to USB adaptor is currently also used to power the Fathom-X, and it does still need to be powered. I assume that’s what was being referred to here:

Note also that the hole in the FXTI back panel for the existing USB-B port won’t fit an RJ45 connector through it, so depending on the tools and skillsets at your disposal you can either:

• remove the back panel while the ethernet cable is connected
    → simple, but less protected
  • pass an ethernet cable through without a connector, and crimp one on to the cable end that’s on the ‘inside’ side of the back panel
    → requires a crimping tool and connector
  • modify the back panel to have a big enough hole for an RJ45 connector to pass through
    → requires cutting/drilling/machining

For extra neatness (and less risk of damaging the ethernet cable) you could mount a female-female RJ45 adaptor board inside, but that would still require leaving off or modifying the back panel.

Ahhh! Thanks so much! I didn’t realize I had to open the FXTI. I think I will install an RJ45 bulkhead in the back panel then. Thx!

Wait… the FXTI has already Ethernet to USB adapter inside so you just plug in the USB-A part of the cable to the Apple Adapter (USB-A)

@Johnny given @tunadiver’s comment it may work to leave the FXTI alone and use a lightning to USB adapter like this, which you could just connect to via the existing USB-A to USB-B cable:

The description does specify

I’m unsure whether it would work - it’s not something I’ve needed or tried to do before. It also specifies iPad Pro - no idea if that’s essential or just how they expect/want it to be used.

I tried that and configured the ethernet settings to 192.168.2.1 /24 but could not connect.

I eventually managed to connect using only the lightning to usb cam adapter. There was some unexpected behavior though, the sub only managed to stay armed for a few seconds and one thruster went the wrong direction. Need to investigate my setup.

And when switching on the lights, thruster 7 starts spinning instead☹️

The update that supports Heavy configuration will be available in few days.
You will be all invited to test the beta app.

1 Like

Hi
I am trying to run your app on a new iPad Air which has the M1 chip. It only accepts USB-C inputs and I cannot seem to find a camera adapter such as you show in your diagrams that has a USB-C jack. They all have just a lightening jack. Can you suggest a work around?
thanks
John

Hi,

there is a new version of the Apple adapter with USB-C and it works. I have the same model of iPad.

Grega

Hi Grega

Thanks for the response. is it this adapter USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple (TH) USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter? I wasn’t sure because it doesn’t mention it being a camera adapter but if it works, I am happy to get one. Would appreciate if you can confirm.
thanks
John

Yes, this is the one. I am also using the HDMI port to connect DJI Goggles :slight_smile:

Excellent. Much obliged!

Just want to let you know that I have updated the BlueROV Control app for iPad and it now supports both the new BlueOS and Navigator Flight Controller.

1 Like

Hello Grega,

i am connected and everything is working but the on screen controls ? Is there anything i am missing ?

Thank you
Andrea