Connecting Ping Sonar via Navigator Serial Port

I am currently connecting the Ping Sonar Altimeter and Echosounder to a heavy config BROV2. For Altimeter I have it directly connected to serial port on Flight Navigator. I am using version 2.3.4. I do not seem to be able to get a solid connection with it through ROV. When I tested a direct connection, I was able to get it to work.
I also tested the altimeter with using USB to Serial UART/RS485 adapter but can’t get a connection. What happens that after a long wait, it appears on Ping Viewer, but when try to connect it, Ping Viewer crashes. So I can’t get it running either way. This is the same ROV I am working with that I am having trouble with Ping 360 (Connecting Ping 360 to Ping Viewer - #9 by Jnyberg)

Hi @Jnyberg,

I brought this up internally and was told

To connect to serial port “n”,

1. set the SERIALn_PROTOCOL parameter to None
    • e.g. SERIAL3_PROTOCOL for Serial3
  2. restart the autopilot, and also the BlueOS core container (soft restart)
    • or power cycle the vehicle
  3. pre-configured devices (e.g. Ping) should now work
    • other devices may need to configure Bridges

That’s definitely unusual. Was Ping Viewer crashing consistently like this? Are you able to upload a Ping Viewer GUI log?

That makes sense now that I think about it and will do that.

What is weird is that at first it wasn’t like that. When I originally used the USB to Serial UART/RS485 adapter I got it to connect. But after testing more with serial connection and rebooting, when I went back to the adapter it then started not working and crashing.

I was able to find the many logs from yesterday and will post the last few:
20220725-140008708.txt (10.1 MB)
20220725-133039987.txt (81.4 KB)
20220725-132817457.txt (195.3 KB)