Water Linked DVL Testing with BlueROV2 in Quarry

Small video made up of a number of hours of footage from a week in Portroe Quarry, Ireland. Big thanks to @williangalvani for the help received in setting up the firmware before we headed out. Ran position hold for about 4 hours total over the few dives with only two small hiccups. The DVL-A50 is definitely a great piece of kit.

I was in the quarry/dive centre with the Centre for Robotics & Intelligent Systems in the University of Limerick, http://www.mmrrc.ul.ie/dotnetnuke/mmrrc/Home.aspx who were preforming tests with the two larger ROVs as can be seen in the video.

10 Likes

That DVL is a super cool product. I’d love to get my hands on one someday! They’ve made impressive strides in price, but hopefully they keep pushing to drive down cost.

Hi Ben,

We’re having a few stability issues, could you please let us know what values you use for these parameters/PID in QGroundControl:

AHRS_EKF_TYPE 3
VISO__TYPE 1
EK3_ENABLE 1
EK3_GPS_TYPE 0

PID Tuning:
PSC_POSXY_P: 3
PSC_VELXY_P: 6
PSC_VELXY_D: 1

Thanks,
Rich

1 Like

Hi Rich,

All values used for the testing I did are as follows and as per the recommendations in the PR for creating the DVL service

AHRS_EKF_TYPE 3
EK2_ENABLE 0
EK3_ENABLE 1
VISO_TYPE 1
EK3_GPS_TYPE 3

PSC_POSXY_P 2.5
PSC_POSZ_P 1.0
PSC_VELXY_D 0.8
PSC_VELXY_I 0.5
PSC_VELXY_P 5.0
PSC_VELZ_P 5.0

1 Like

Perfect, cheers Ben !

Hi Ben,
Can QGC display relative position,I want to use DVL for navigation.
Thanks

Hello,
very interesting footage! Can I ask what version of the ArduSub are you using in order to use the position hold (with the DVL)?

Regards,
Ioannis

You need to use Ardusub 4.1.0 beta and and the dvl companion branch. Here is the installation guide: DVL Integration · GitBook

1 Like