Water Linked DVL integration for Dynamic Positioning

Been quite a while now since the last post with the initial integration of the DVL with the BlueROV2 and Quarry Testing.

This was the start of my Final Year Project for my undergraduate degree program. The main aims were to attempt to create a dynamic positioning system for the BlueROV2, similar to how the other ROVs in the department can be controlled, semi autonomously.

While there was some normality around the time of the initial integration and Position Hold Testing, the final year was completed via remote learning so testing opportunities were few and far between on top of the extra continuous assessment for the other modules.

Glad to say I completed the project a little while ago now and in the end got out some good results, of course not without some final second hiccups to try and throw us off :smile: . In the end it worked out to be an implementation of the guided controllers with a python GUI. Something similar could be probably be integrated straight into QGroundControl but I was having no luck with building it in the first place under the time constraints.

Big thanks again to @williangalvani for all the help originally getting the DVL pretty seamlessly integrated, getting through some issues and for advice on ways to try and tackle the tasks. I haven’t seen if there is any official DVL support released yet but best of luck with it. Some great work being completed, so the best of luck to all those working with the systems too and hopefully we see more great additions in the future.

Here’s a link to the code used in the demo if anyone is interested. Hopefully get to do some more work with the BlueROV2 in future but for now I’ve been lucky enough to be starting a PhD in aerial drones later this year. I’ll have to see about getting my own BlueROV2 :wink: .

4 Likes

Cool project Ben! It’s always interesting to see the projects people come up with and the awesome results :smiley:

Nice to see accessible code, and quite detailed setup instruction in your README - makes it much easier for anyone else wanting to try to recreate your results.

Sounds great! All the best with your PhD, and hopefully we’ll see you around, on the forums or otherwise :slight_smile: