Ping360 Static IP

Is it possible to set a static ip on the ping360?

Hi @craig,

Yes it’s possible, you can do that in the device manager screen:

And after that you can configure the IP address as dynamic or static:
ping-viewer-2

Thank you Patrick. Do you know what software version is required? Our version of this software does not have that option.

Craig

Hi @cbulger,

You can always download the latest version on ping-viewer website: Ping Viewer
Or repository: GitHub - bluerobotics/ping-viewer: Ping Viewer is an open-source application to view and record data from the Blue Robotics Ping Echosounder

Hi @patrickelectric,

I just downloaded the latest software from the website but I still don’t see the static IP option. See attached images.

Cheers,
Craig

Hi Craig,

I’m sorry but I informed you the wrong version, this is a feature that was not released yet, please download our continuous version here: Release Continuous Release · bluerobotics/ping-viewer · GitHub

I downloaded Ping Viewer from that Continuous version that was updated on August 6th, and I still don’t see any way to set a static IP. I’m having a really hard time getting both Ping sonars to work, and I think it’s because they are always fighting over the exact same 192.168.2.2 address. I also looked in the companion computer site and didn’t see a option to set IP address there either.

The network configuration is not possible if the device was found via companion, since companion communicate with Ping360 via serial port, ethernet configuration is not possible.

Please explain what you want to accomplish with that or what is your real problem.

If you want to have both Ping360 and Ping1D working simultaneously, you’ll need to open two ping-viewer instances.

It seems to work now. I think it started to work when I only used Ping1D at port 9090, then only used Ping360 at port 9092 on the second ping viewer. I did have 2 ping viewers open at the same time, but both of the sonar views would work for less than a minute after connecting before the sonar graphics would freeze. I think it was because I might have chosen both Ping sonars to use the same port.

Greetings All,

I am trying to set my Ping 360 as an IP device and to set a static IP on it. I am using the default 192.168.2.2 for the companion RPi in the BROV enclosure and 192.168.2.1 for ground station computer (laptop). I have a 5 port switch installed in our “server closet” 4" enclosure. 1 port connects with Fathom board, 1 with RPi, 1 port for rear fisheye IP camera, and 1 port for zoom IP camera. I want to use the final port to connect with Ping 360 to free up a USB port on the RPi. I performed the ethernet adjustment on the Ping 360, by taking it apart by changing the interface port to ethernet. I am using version Ping 2.1.0 linked from the Ping 360 page on the BROV site (Ping Viewer). It is not being recognized…Do I need the “continuous release” downloaded from here (Release Continuous Release · bluerobotics/ping-viewer · GitHub) Ping Viewer 9c5fe53? Then I would like to set static IP of Ping 360 to 192.168.2.21. Thanks for your help!

Ian

Hi Ian,

v2.1.0 is the same as what Craig was using - there hasn’t been a full release since then, so the continuous release is your best bet. I don’t have access to a Ping360 at the moment and haven’t used the continuous release, so can’t confirm. I know that @patrickelectric has been using the feature, so hopefully he can confirm if it’s publicly available at the moment, but I’d suggest just downloading the continuous release and seeing if the option is there :slight_smile:

Thanks Eliot. I have tried the continuous release (9c5fe53) and have disabled the firewall on my computer. I have the Ping 360 plugged directly into an ethernet port on my laptop (Static IP 192.168.2.154) and the Ping connected to a 4 cell battery. When I open Ping Viewer it searches, but cannot find any devices. I have the other wires coming out of the Ping connected to the appropriate (O-O, OST-OST, G-G, GST-GST). I did an IP scanner and the only device found on this subnet is the IP for the laptop computer. Any ideas next?

Do i need to open a port on the companion computer and/or set a port for the ping 360? Still not finding it in the continuous release…

Hi @FairweatherIT,

Can you provide a diagram of your connection ? You should do like described in the diagram:

If Ping360 has the correct wiring, the router will be able to set an IP address for it and you’ll be able to find it in the network.

Greetings Pat…I have it setup as a straight through connection as in your diagram (not crossover). Orange to orange, orange stripe to orange stripe, green to green, and green stripe to green stripe.I am using just pin headers for testing, but I will solder them in case it is a poor header connection. Right now I am bench testing, connecting directly to the laptop, and I tested going through an unmanaged switch as well…

Hi @FairweatherIT,

If possible, double check if the RX/TX labels in the board matches the colors that you are describing.

Greetings Pat…just for clarification, do you connect the Ping 360 using the straight through or crossover scheme? I have the wires matching Orange to Orange ect (see below)

Straight Through (current setup)
Ping side – Switch Side
Orange – Orange
Orange Stripe – Orange Stripe
Green – Green
Green Stripe – Green Stripe

Or should it be setup in the Crossover setup?

Crossover
Ping Side – Switch Side
Orange Stripe – Green Stripe
Orange – Green
Green Stripe – Orange Stripe
Green – Orange

Got it working…you must use the crossover scheme to connect to the ping and have an active DHCP server to give it an address…

My router is assigning IP addresses of 192.168.0.xxx to the ping sonars. Can I either get the router to assign a 192.168.2.xxx address, or can I do it manually?