Ping 360 and Sonarview connection issue

I’m having some trouble getting our Ping360 to work with the cerulean sonarview extension in BlueOS 1.2.6.

My Ping360 is wired in USB configuration. If I connect the usb cable to my desktop PC, I am able to successfully start the Ping360, hear the device operating, and view sonar data with the BlueRobotics Ping Viewer application.

When plugged in to the companion computer (raspberry pi 4) the Ping360 is recognized in BlueOS, and detected by the SonarView application. But after I connect and click start, the sonar never actually starts spinning and transmitting. No data ever appears on the SonarView display. If I zoom way in, I can see a weird yellow submarine, but that’s it.

I am not using the default companion IP address under 192.168.x.x. But I have been able to get everything else (video, telemetry, controls, etc) communicating correctly on my local network subnet 10.10.10.X.

Is there anything I’m missing to get the Ping360 running on BlueOS?

ping sonar devices expanded

Hi @StrikeLines -
Does the Ping360 (via USB) work as expected via PingViewer when connected to the BlueOS device via network connection? If so, then the issue may be with Cerulean’s SonarView…

I want to make sure I understand what you are describing…

I am using a desktop computer on our WiFi network to connect to the BlueOS companion computer, which is also on the WiFi network.

Are you saying that once I am connected to BlueOS, I can open PingViewer on my desktop computer, and it will automatically connect to the Ping360 over the network?

Even though the Ping360 is configured as a USB device on the companion computer?

OK, this morning I tried PingViewer, and I was able to successfully connect to the Ping360 and view sonar data over the local network.

ping viewer works over network

So I guess I need to reach out to Cerulean with the bug report?

For anyone else who may find this, here’s how you can use BlueRobotics Ping Viewer to connect to a Ping sonar over the network.

Once you’re connected to BlueOS in a web browser, open up Ping Viewer on your desktop. Change Communication to UDP. For UDP Host/port: put the IP address of your BlueROV on the local network, and put the port displayed on the “Ping Sonar Devices” menu of BlueOS.

This is a Ping360 f/w version issue. We updated SonarView to use the new auto_transmit capability published here: ping360 - Ping Protocol

B/R, what do we know about user’s ability to update the P360 f/w?

Thanks for the reply! I can confirm I’m on firmware 3.1.

We think it’s V3.3.5 that you need. If necessary we will revert the SonarView P360 code to the earlier version.

Tony, I found this firmware repository: GitHub - bluerobotics/ping-firmware: Repository for binary files associated with ping devices

What is the procedure for flashing a firmware update to the Ping360?

Hi @StrikeLines -
That process is not yet possible to do - we’ll be sure to have a guide available when it is! This will coincide with the release of the next version of PingViewer, the current version does not support this. Sorry for the news!

I think the issues you were initially having were related to your non-standard network subnet, and Cerulean jumped the gun slightly in supporting unreleased functionality - @ljlukis I would think revering SonarView to previous code would be the best bet for a bit longer. Apologies!

We’ll update SonarView to support both versions, but it will be another week before I’m in the same place as a P360, so it’ll be a bit.

Here is a SonarView update which has the Ping 360 f/w version issue resolved.

1 Like