Ab initio heavy configuration

Feel free to move this thread to a different section of the forum, if deemed relevant…

I started working on my BR2 tonight, and got the chassis assembled. I ordered the heavy configuration kit right from the start, so I am now at the point where I’m a bit unsure of myself. Thus I need to ask this question: Is there a set of build instructions for doing the heavy configuration right from the start? In other words, the build instructions I have found all seem to presume I have a basic kit that is in use, and therefore I need to disassemble my working ROV…and modify it to install the heavy configuration kit.

Am I the only one to ever buy a heavy configuration right from the start, or am I just missing the assembly instructions for doing what I need to do?

I certainly don’t expect to have to build the “base” kit, and then disassemble it to do the upgrade before I even use it. LOL! Or…is that the way you guys recommend I proceed? Seems like a waste of energy and time, but at least I could follow the step-by-step directions then.

Thanks.

TB

Hi @tcbetka,

You certainly do not need to build a full standard BlueROV2, and then modify it as a heavy kit. However, we do not have explicit instructions how to do so directly. Since we have available numerous accessories, upgrades, and modifications to the BlueROV2, it would be impractical to create a full set of build instructions for the vehicle with every possible different parts combination/load out.

If a user is building a fresh vehicle with some upgrades right away, the general suggestion is to first fully read each set of assembly instructions so each individual procedure is understood, and then build the vehicle as they desire, switching between sets of instructions at the necessary points.

As far as I know, it is relatively rare for an individual user to build up a new BlueROV2 as a heavy directly.

-Adam

1 Like

Right, I gathered that. I would presume that the vast majority of people would just start with the basic configuration and then go from there, upgrading later. But when I talked to Geoff at Seaview about what I wanted to do down the road, he suggested I just get the heavy configuration kit from the start. That way it’s built, and I can add other components later without having to reconfigure the entire kit. So that’s what I did. I considered just building the basic kit to start with right now, and leaving the heavy configuration parts in the box–but once I studied the instructions a bit more, I decided that it wouldn’t be so bad to just assemble it all right from the start. So that’s what I am doing.

Therefore I think I have it–I just have the build instructions for the basic and the heavy configurations up in side-by-side tabs, and then just jump back and forth. You have to alter the procedure because the heavy configuration installation sort of depends upon you having certain things in place from the basic configuration, but once you understand that…it’s not terribly difficult. For instance, because there are now EIGHT motors flopping around, I installed them on the chassis first, in order to get them out of the way. Then I mounted all the motor penetrators to the 14-hole plate, and then added the lumens’ penetrator. Now I’l mount the lumens to the chassis, being able to route their cables correctly. So you just have to figure out how things look when you start, and then compare it to how it should look when it’s all finished. So other than having a printable set of build instructions (which would allow a person to check off items as they are completed), it seems to be going fine.

If I had one piece of “wish-list” advice from this build so far, that would be it: A set of printable build instructions. There might be one somewhere, but I didn’t see it.

That said though, I am a bit perplexed over one thing: Every one of the CW motor tubes had a spare CCW impeller in it, and every one of the CCW motor tubes had a spare CW impeller in it. The spare impellers didn’t match the ones installed on the motors they were in the tubes with. I was like…huh?!? But since I have 4 spare impellers of each rotation, it all worked out fine. It was just a bit odd I thought, lol…

Thanks for your reply Adam.

Tom

I built my BR2 directly in heavy with gripper, juggling with the different assembly instructions it was your easy. Thanks again to Blue Robotics for these documentations.
I advise you to directly mount the 18-hole plate

I didn’t get an 18-hole plate…likely because I didn’t order one I’m guessing. Geoff (at Seaview) and I talked about that, but it didn’t get added to the order and I didn’t catch it. So I guess I’ll have to do that later, once I start adding other things. That definitely would be nice though, not having to break-down all the electrical connections to swap out the other plates.

TB

EDIT: Spoke with Geoff over there at Seaview, and he’s sending me an 18-hole end-cap. We simply forgot to add it to the order, and thankfully I can get one from him quickly. So I’m putting on-hold the final electronics work until I can swap-out the end-caps. This should simplify things considerably for me going forward, when it comes time to add on to the system. So thanks for reminding me @JeanBenoit! Had you not mentioned it in the thread today, I would have just finished the electronics connections using the standard 14-hole cap, and then moved on.

And thanks to Geoff for getting one out to me ASAP!

1 Like

In reviewing my installation tonight while still awaiting the 18-port end cap, I had a question regarding this diagram from the assembly instructions:

I presume the red arrows indicate the forward direction because you say this down the page on the standard configuration assembly page:

1. Install thrusters 1 and 2 underneath the front center panels, using the M3x16 screws. Tighten the screws so that they indent the frame slightly. It is physically possible to keep turning the screw at this point, but it isn’t recommended.

2. Install thrusters 5 and 6, using the M3x12 screws on the side panels. Tighten the screws so that they indent the frame slightly.

3. Install thrusters 3 and 4 underneath the rear center panels, using the M3x16 screws. Tighten the screws so that they indent the frame slightly.

But it took a while to pick it out of the standard kit assembly instructions as I was paging back and forth between the two assembly sections. So I was wondering if it might be nice to just indicate that right on the diagram, there in the heavy configuration directions? It’s up to you guys of course, but it might save someone some time down the road, should they end up doing the heavy configuration assembly right from the start as I did.

TB

Hi @tcbetka,

Thanks for the additional thoughts! The most valuable resource we have when making updates to our instructions is feedback like yours. :slight_smile:

The additional propellers in the tubes are not explicitly spare props (though they function as such), they are the same opposite hand prop that is included with all of our thrusters. Our propellers are made in a family mold that produces them in matching CW and CCW pairs, and we include both with our standalone thrusters so users have the option of choosing the rotation direction they need. Similarly, the thrusters with the BlueROV2 also include them. We could hypothetically shuffle around the boxes they are contained in just for the BlueROV2 thrusters, but this would add some operations and inventory complexity differing from our regular procedure that could cause a stock imbalance, so we include them the same way as with all our thrusters. The end result is the same either way.

I don’t believe we have standalone assembly instructions in PDF format or similar, but printing from the web page directly should pose no issue.

I’m not quite sure I understand your last comment. Are you asking for an explicit explanation in the instructions that the red arrow means forward/front?

-Adam

Ah, good idea on the CW/CCW propeller inclusion. I hadn’t thought of that–but I can see that it would be convenient for folks to have that sort of option… Strong work!

I thought of trying to just print the page–but then you’d have all the graphics and such. It might be nice to just have the “to do” items on a list. But it is no problem though, as I’ve been working through the list without a problem. I am awaiting arrival of the 18-port end cap yet, but when it arrives I’ll finish the electronics assembly/connections and then start testing.

As to the red arrow–yes. I was just looking for an explicit call-out on the graphic in the heavy configuration, that it pointed in the FORWARD direction. I did figure it out after reviewing the assembly instructions in their entirety, but it was a bit of a head-scratcher there for awhile, when first reviewing the heavy configuration instructions. Because I am doing that upgrade from the start, I have to page back and forth between those instructions and the basic configuration assembly instructions. So it just got lost in the shuffle. That’s why I am wondering if it just wouldn’t be a good idea to simply add a “FWD” annotation next to the red arrow on that graphic?

TB