Using USB microphones

Hi,
I just connected a USB mic to my rasperry pi and lost all sound from my camera. Tried to remove it again to use the mic on the camera, but it seems like the function has been muted. Any suggestion how to recover it or how to be able to use the USB mic?

Hi @SHS, Can you show a link to the microphone you are using?

Also, go to http://192.168.2.2:8088, open terminal, and enter cat /proc/asound/cards. Show me what it says please.

Hi @jwalser,
Here is the link to the mic i ordered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Plug-Mini-Studio-Speech-Microphone-MIC-Recording-Audio-Adapter-For-PC/152896224197?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I am offshore at the moment, but i am home again tomorrow and wwill test it then.

Ok, this one should work. I’ve tried the same sort.

IS it just plug and play or do i have to do something else after i have installed it.

It should be plug and play

This screenshot was taken after i had removed the usb mic. Still no sound in my laptop.
I have rebooted my Vehicle from QGC and disconnected the battery as well without any changes.

Hi Svein,

Did you restart the ROV after connecting the USB microphone or camera ?
Check if screen -ls command output in http://192.168.2.2:8088 terminal has the NUMBER.audio process.

This is how it look while i have connected the extern mic into my pi. Still no sound from any of them.

Hi Svein,

Yes, cat /proc/asound/cards will check if the hardware is connected and available for the alsa driver. To check the audio stream service, you need to send the output of screen -ls, then we’ll be able to see if the problem is with the audio stream pipeline or in QGC/network.

Do this tell you what you want to see?

Hi Svein,

Thank you for the image, this shows that the audio service (800.audio) is running and able to find your microphone.
If you are running the last companion image (0.0.15) with the last update of QGC (v3.2.4-BlueRobotics-Rev6) the audio should work fine.

Can you check if the volume control of QGC:
Screenshot%20from%202018-06-14%2009-10-22
and the windows audio mixer are not muted ?

Yes, i run the rev6 with the latest companion. Also checked that i not have muted the mic.

The speaker symbol seems to desapare after a while. I need to change from picture/map to get it back on the screen, why is it like that?

I just downloaded v3.2.4-Rev.6 on another computer and there is still not any audio coming from the Pi.

Hi @patrickelectric
It seems like there is a issue with the rev.6 of QGC. i downloaded the rev.4 and got my camera audio back again. after that i downloaded rev.6 and rebooted the vehicle and it vent silent again. I was not able to get any sound from my USB mic in the rev.4. i will run on Rev.4 until this is solved in Rev.6

Hi svein,

Thank you for the collaboration, we added this issue in our list and further investigation is already in progress, we’ll notify everyone with a fix asap.
https://github.com/bluerobotics/qgroundcontrol/issues/194

1 Like

Hi,
there ist no speaker-icon on any version of QGC visible, regardless of which computer I use.
I never noticed any sounds of the BR2. I bought it in 2017. So I added an USB-microphone and the rasp shows me that everythings OK:

I also tried port 5601 for video/audiostream but videostream failed by using 5601. The companion is vers. 0.0.25 and ardusub firmware 4.0.2, QGC versions 4.0.5 or 4.0.8 or earlier. No speaker-icon and sound on different machines. How can I add the speaker-icon or activate audio at all from the ROV?

kind regards
Chris

Hello @schleitauche, unfortunately audio streaming support is not present in QGC v4.x.x. This feature was included on an older (currently unsupported) version of QGC that Blue Robotics made. You can find that old one that we were using here: Release v3.2.4-BlueRobotics-Rev6 · bluerobotics/qgroundcontrol · GitHub

We will bring this feature back to the latest QGC some day, but it is not clear when: Add UDP audio support by Williangalvani · Pull Request #7188 · mavlink/qgroundcontrol · GitHub

Hi @jwalser ,
thank you for reply. I tried this old version you linked and there is the audio icon visible and adjustable. But there is still no sound from the ROV but the QGC voice works. But OK, if it will reactivated in a future version of QGC I will try that again. It’s not very important but a useful feature I’m looking forward to.

Best regards
Chris

1 Like