Using a flight controller joystick in liew of game pad controller

I already have. This is why I built my own controller.

It’s really not that hard and you can find cheap joystick to keep the cost down.

1pc New Arrival 4-axis Plastic For Joystick Potentiometer For Jh-d400x-r4 10k 4d With Button Wire - Potentiometers - AliExpress?

Use this board to wire it all up easilly:

1 Like

The “Hat Switch” on the Extreme 3D is a multi-position switch, not a joystick (potentiometer) so wouldn’t work well for controlling thrusters. There are other “high end” flight sim joysticks out there which do have potentiometer thumb sticks on the joystick, but I’ve not tested those with QGC.

Hi
has anybody managed to get a logitech f710 wireless gamepad working with QGC on a MacBook pro? or perhaps come up with another way of wirelessly connecting to QGC.

Hi,
You can use a SteelSeries Nimbus.
It works great for all Apple products

Hi Jan
thanks for that. much appreciated. John

These controllers should work, what’s the trouble you are having?

I can see the f710 is recognised in the system info on my MacBook but QGC doesn’t see them. Somebody on the forums suggested a Steel series nimbus controller so I have ordered on of those. the controller being wireless, while not necessary,just removes one more thing to trip over or get hooked up on the deck of a boat.

Which version of QGC are you using? It is the text in the application window title bar.

I also tried to use the flying joystick. I used the PXN-2119II. All the functions are fine. Except for the GAIN function, the situation is that when I lower the output %, the neutral point of the vertical thruster will be changed. As a result, the horizontal thruster will rotate by itself. When the output % drops more, the neutral spread of the horizontal thruster is more. Is there a solution? Thank you.2323232323

@sengo This problem does not sound familiar. Please provide a video or log to demonstrate the problem.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Thruster running unexpectedly

I have a question regarding the usage of alternate controllers: I use a USB connected R/C transmitter which, instead of momentary-contact buttons, has switches.

Is it possible e.g. for arming to be put on a switch like “switch off-> disarmed / switch on → armed”?

One way is using emulator:

Dual flightsticks

There is no support for this right now in QGC. As you have noticed, the switch’s operation is fundamentally different than a momentary button. We may add this in the future.

Just getting back to this, we are still working through the issues to get the Thrustmaster joysticks working simply, we’ve had no reliability problems with them, but getting them to work as intended every time you plug them in is still proving to be an issue. Some of the issues seem to be related to the order that we plug the joysticks in, and when in the whole startup sequence we plug them in to the laptop. One day we will get there, someone far more knowledgeable than us might be able to solve it far quicker, but in the meantime we will persevere as it is worth the hassle as we find that they are so nice to use when doing really long inspections.

We use a Saitek Pro Flight X-56 RHINO Joystick. This joystick is great for an advanced Blue ROV Heavy.

x56-stick

2 Likes

Hi Etienne
I bought the same configuration, like you suggested. Joystick from aliexpress an the board from LeoBodnar.

How’d you wire the joysticks? The joystick has 3 connections each (X/Y). Have you connected x and Y in the board ? What about the connectors “RX” and “RY” ?
Can you give me a hint so I can connect my joysticks correctly? Thanks a lot !

best regards
Thomas

I found the problem, the motor controller has a problem, the joystick is no problem.

1 Like

sounds very interesting, now do you use only the joystick or also the other controler for up / down.
AND is it more or less plug and play with usb connectors ? or is this going to ask for advance knowledge ?
thanks