Home        Store        Learn        Blog

Trouble with Lights, Gripper, and Gimbal

Hi there,
So in essence, every aspect of the robot except for the thrusters does not work. We tested and determined that power is going through everything, but when plugged into the pixhawk, nothing seems to work. I’m completely lost as to what’s goin on. When we try to map the Newton Subsea Gripper Buttons, the option for “servo_n_min_momentary” and “servo_n_max_momentary” do not appear. Does anyone have any solutions?

Not sure what you mean by this. I’m assuming you’ve used a multimeter to determine that your power/ground wires are correct. It sounds like you’re using QGroundControl to control your ROV - have you made sure you’ve plugged in the wires for your accessories correctly, and that QGC has them mapped correctly (e.g. lights channel → the pixhawk output port you’ve actually plugged them in to)?

More generally, what operating system is your computer using, what ardusub, companion, and QGC versions are you using, and what have you done so far to set up the connections and test them, which has lead you to determine that they don’t work?

The fact that the thrusters are working would imply that the QGC, the pixhawk, the companion computer, and your ESCs are all working to some degree, which is a good start. You haven’t mentioned the camera, so not sure if that is or isn’t working. By the ‘gimbal’ do you mean the servo that tilts the camera up and down, or have you got a custom setup that does something different/more advanced?

My best guess with the information so far is that you haven’t specified the ports for your components correctly, but there are several other possible hardware and software issues that could potentially be the issue. Without further information/testing from your side it’s not possible for us to specify what the solution is, because we don’t know enough to know what the actual issue is.