Transport trolley/ retrieval pole options for ROV

I am looking for a trolley option for transporting the ROV setup (ROV, laptop, top side box, reel) over distance ie. along jetties, down various terrain etc. to eliminate manual handling over distance. Any specific ideas?

I am also looking into a retrieval technique for deploying and retrieving the ROV with a 5m drop into the water (ie. off jetties etc). I was thinking about a long extendible pole with a decent hook on the end (almost like a jaff but not pointy/sharp). Any specific ideas?

How about Pelican cases? This is what I use.

Also for launching. you should look at small manual cranes usually used in the back of pick up trucks.

Attach a basket at the end…

…i will mount this for my boat… and make an small “Tms” or moore a "Garage"for less drag, less powerconsumption and also can be used for grid surveys i would think … Teinehaler, 900 W - Biltema.no …else im with Etienne here…Pelican case is the safest for travel i think?

For launching, we usually just carefully raise/lower the rov from its tether, even over ~5m drops.

That doesn’t sound particularly safe. So you stand beside a 5 m drop and lift a weight up while trying to keep it scraping along a wall?
If there was a wheel/pullet that could be positioned to pull up the ROV while keeping it a fixed distance from the wall this would be my preference. A vehicle mounted winch will need a vehicle. Any other suggestions out there?

Hey @GavXYZ,

I’ve started using a hauler on a tripod for wharf side LAR. I lower the ROV with the hauler, with a loop/pin for launching, and use a Rescue Clip on a extension pole for recovery. STICK CLIP - SUPERCLIP RESCUE TOOLS (sendergear.com) The hauler I’m using is pretty fast, so I’ve started looking at putting in a speed controller for it. It’s definitely safer than leaning over the edge and pulling it up by the tether…Especially the heavy one in the photo!

2 Likes

That’s a nice setup @k-deboer. Do I understand that for recovery, you use the rescue clip to snap a retrieval line on to the ROV and a you hook that on to your hauler?
For the lighter blue ROV maybe I don’t need something mechanised. Perhaps a pulley on a bar extended beyond the pier edge. I’m not sure how to fix it in place though. If the tether is designed to hoist the Blue ROV then I wouldn’t hesitate to run the tether through the pulley wheel.

1 Like

You are correct @GavXYZ, I snap a recovery line to the top loop of the larger yellow ROV and use the hauler to deploy/recover. I find out here in the cold North East, pulling on the small tether by hand, even to recover the lighter Blue, can be a challenge. The Yellow ROV’s tether is fiber, so I can’t run that through the hauler, but the BR copper tether on the Blue does.

1 Like