Surface Control Unit

Surface control unit is well under way. Hope to finish this week.

Missing some buttons and screws.

2 Likes

Estimated how much weigh

Depends on what options are installed.

The pelican case is 5Kg. I would say maybe another 5Kg with everything inside.

A bit moving forward today.

Yes my office is a complete mess!!

1 Like

Very nice, how did you mount the LCD bezzel to the case lid. Do they sell an adaptor plate for that?

Hello Michael,

This is all my design. There is an acrylic panel with an o-ring that fits in the aluminum panel.
Then in the back is an LCD screen by itself with the control boards. Its held in place by the screws you see around the lcd but I will also add a peripheral bracket.

This is a 21ich screen so its all pretty big. The screen is also 1000nits so its sunlight readable.

I was wondering if there would be merit in making a smaller battery powered version.

that looks great.

Really nice, congrats Etienne.

I am really evaluating the purchase of your surface control unit / subsea power , in fact I am eager to see the finished products and the outcome of your tests here on the forum.

Just a question , what about the heat dissipation for the surface unit control computer ? I do not see any vent or fan on your pics.

Thank you ,
Davide

Hello Davide,

Thanks for the compliment.

I did look into adding some fans but this is also a source of water ingress and corrosive salty air if used at sea. I considered several options including one way valves but I haven’t come up with a solution that checks all the boxes yet.

That said, I can custom add some for you if need be.

Note that the computer I am using does not generate a lot of heat. Also I am only redressing the 220VAC on the topside which does not generate much heat either.

I will be leaving to go offshore next week working outside in the Philippines and this will be a good test to see how the system fares. I’ll try and incorporate some temperature sensors to monitor the unit. Just not sure if I have time to do it.

We can discuss this further on forum.deltarov.com if you want. We can talk about your specific requirements as more power means less usable tether.

I will keep updating you all on this as it is a very fun project I am sure will interest a lot of guys on here.

Cheers,
E.

Many thanks for your quick reply . Will discuss this further on your forum .

Cheers.
Davide

I tried to create an account on that forum and it won’t let me enter a username…i even tried Etienne as a joke.

Concerning your new ROV design, i wanted to say, the rear horizontal bar that holds the shackles? You could replace it with a steel rod with loops to hold the shackles, with the loops tilted down to be inline with the camera view. That would block the camera view less. My first thought was to tilt the bar down to be inline with the camera, but then it would act like a wing, so i substituted a rod.

Hello Darrell,

What browser are you using?

I created a profile and it worked.

If you are struggling, pm me your details and I will create a profile for you.

Actually, I am presently re-designing this ROV to address some issues I found using the BR2.

I am going to be using an external tilt and oil compensation system.