Radio Calibration

In the joystick tab, click the box for bottom stick is zero throttle, instead of center stick. This should solve your problem. You also need to fix your rc map values, as you are sending the same input to throttle and forward channels, meaning if you push the stick forward, the vehicle will move forward and up at the same time.
-Jacob

@TCIII, I understand the RCMAPs should be like that but when I do the RC calibration and follow the grapical instructions these are the values that are being saved after the calibration.

@Jacob, I have tried both the bottom stick is zero throttle and the centre stick is zero throttle option. Do you have to select this option before you do the joystick calibration or does this not matter?

Another question, what is the function of channel 5? The RC calibration doesn’t seem to have much influence on this?

Hi Klaas,

Can you try changing the RCMAP parameter values directly in the parameter editor? I believe that should resolve this issue. I’m not sure how they got set that way in the first place.

Like Jacob said, the joystick needs to be set to “full down is zero throttle” as well. It doesn’t matter when you do this.

The function is Channel 5 is the “mode switch”. You shouldn’t see it change unless you switch into a different flight mode (like altHold).

Let us know if it works when you change the RCMAP parameters.

-Rusty

I have tried manually changing the values in the parameter editor but without good results.

Might the strange RC calib results have something to do with the joystock calibration? When I run this and I follow the graphical instructions it looks ok but the controls are completely different from what is being specified on the website:

http://ardusub.com/initial-setup/#configuring-joystickgamepad

Hi Klaas,

I see that it’s not shown very clearly on the documentation, but we calibrate the sticks in the opposite manner that QGC suggests. The right stick is calibrated first (which attaches throttle and yaw to that stick) and the left stick is calibrated second (which attaches forward and strafe to that stick).

Are you doing it this way or following the graphics in QGC?

-Rusty

I’m following the graphics in QGC so this might be the cause that I can’t get it to work. I will try tomorrow to see if this makes it work. Thanks for your help. For the RC calibration do you use mode 1 or 2?

Klaas

@Klaas,

Are you following the BR ROV programming and operating instructions here ?

Unlike the QGC joystick calibration graphics, the throttle (ascend/descend) is the Y axis of the right joystick while the yaw (right/left) is the X axis of the right joystick. Forward (pitch up/down) is the Y axis of the left joystick and strafe (roll right/left) is the X axis of the left joystick.

This joystick configuration is the reverse of the QGC joystick graphic, but trust me, it works fine and will get your joystick calibrated correctly for the ArduSub firmware.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

Joystick calibration goes much better.

All RC output values seem ok (around 1500, see image)

I just can’t get rid of the throttle to high message so can’t arm.

Any sugestions what might cause this message?

@Klaas,

I noticed that you are using an Xbox 1 for your gamepad. That might be your problem as its joystick output may not be quite the same a the Xbox 360 or the F310.

Have you verified proper joystick operation in Windows in the Windows joystick Test and Calibration application?

Regards,

TCIII AVD

Klaas,

The raw RC values are looking good. I’m not sure why you’re getting this warning message. We usually have all of the pre-arm checks disabled. I think you already did that though?

-Rusty

Hi All,

I’m new to this and I’m facing the same kind of problems:

-“critical:prearm:rc not calibrated” does not alow me to arm (no icons are in red)

Probably due to the fact that I could not configure the F310 gamepad as advised as the D-Pad does have no action simultaneously with the left analog stick (I have to choose the one or the other with the gamepad “mode” button). Did I missunderstood something? And also the “logitech” proposed “shift” button have no efect but poping up a window dedicated to games…

Thank you in advance for your help

QGC: V2.9.7 on windows; Pixhawk with PX4-vectored6dof; and logitech F310 gamepad.

Hi Nicolas,

Okay. Were you able to calibrate the RC radio section on the “radio” tab? You should not need to setup any buttons except for the gain buttons to change the gain to 100% before calibration.

The D-pad doesn’t show up on Windows right now. We’re working on fixing that in QGC right now. Overall we want to make this process very easy but it’s still a little tricky.

-Rusty

Thank you, yes I’m able to calibrate the RC section now :slight_smile:

but it comes out with

RCMAP_PITCH 6

RCMAP_ROLL 7

same as previously for Klaas Visser

Nothing on the gamepad alows me to move channel 1 and 2 in the radio section

In this case I’m geting a “throttle to high” when I’m trying to arm

It does the same if I change them manualy for 1 and 2…

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

QGC: V2.9.7 on windows; Pixhawk (connected to PC via USB ) with PX4-vectored6dof; and logitech F310 gamepad

@ Nicolas,

This sounds exactly like the problems I am having but with an Xbox One controler.

When I follow the calibration routine Channel 1 and 2 are not responding.

By manualy changing them I get the bars in the radio section.

Same for the Throttle to high message.

<span style=“line-height: 1.5;”>I’m using the F310 gamepad and I’m having the same problem</span>

In case it does help somewone to understand something: I have just noticed that the message changes to “safety switch” when I try to arm in “mode 2” (the mode for auto depth control that shows “learning” in QGC …) and comes back to “throttle to high” when I try to arm back to “stabilized mode” (that shows manual in QGC)

Klaas, is your pixhawk curently also conected to a windows PC via USB ?

Klaas,

I did the full initial setup again and now I can arm in “althold” flight mode :slight_smile:

I hope this can help you…

The stabilized flight mode is still giving a “throttle to high” message…

At this stage I was expecting to see movements on RC servomotors connected to the pixhawk as a test, but the gamepad, and movements of the pixhawk does not get any of them to move…

Rusty, would you have an idea of what I got wrong this time ?

Have you set ARMING_CHECK parameter to disabled?
-Jacob

I have tryed Jacob, but it does come back to enable automaticly…

Nicolas,

That’s very odd. The parameter should stay set once you change it. Can you confirm that you are pressing save in QGC after entering the “disabled” value?

-Rusty

@Rusty,

Same here, I disable all the checks but after saving they are all enabled again…

Klaas