Ping 360 Video Overlay

Hi @CUIS,

What do you meant by this? Are you thinking something that would show the distances as though from the camera’s perspective, or just the normal Ping Viewer display on top of the video?

If it’s the former, that could technically be possible (with some reasonably significant development time+effort) by adding vector graphics to the subtitles file, using a post-processing script that takes a .ass subtitles file, a .tlog telemetry file, and a .bin Ping Viewer binary log.

If the latter, the best way at this point would be to either screen record Ping Viewer while recording video (and combine them afterwards), or directly screen record with your Ping Viewer window over your QGC window (noting that Ping Viewer can be placed in “always on top” mode, and can also be semi-transparent by adjusting Opacity if desired).

Ping Viewer binary logs only include ping protocol messages, so don’t have any idea about telemetry. Unfortunately replays don’t currently have a way of accessing a telemetry file, so right now it’s not possible to view it. I raised an issue about this a little while ago (which you can follow to track our progress on it), but we have other higher priorities for development at this point so it’s unlikely we’ll get to it particularly soon.

If you’re particularly keen on the feature

• you’re welcome to implement it yourself and submit a Pull Request (I think the required steps would be adding an optional input of a telemetry file to replay mode, and doing the relevant parsing and time-synching so they line up),
  • or I suppose it would technically be possible to make a program that can parse a .bin file and .tlog and spoof a Ping Viewer serial connection and corresponding MAVLink connection so it thinks it’s connected to a normal device instead of a replay (but I expect that would be more difficult than adding the feature to Ping Viewer).