No companion update button available

Hi,
i just turned on my BlueROV2 to perform the mentioned update - but there is no “Update companion” button :frowning:

Any idea what could be wrong? or can i download the update file somewhere? it still shows 0.0.15

thx

Didi

Did you See the update Button? I Hope i can Update without disassembling the Wohle rov to be alle to get the so card :frowning:

Hello @Dpichler, Does the network page show that you have an internet connection? Please make sure you have connected the ROV to a wifi network on that page.

Hi, of course- i can update the pixhawk from there with no issues. but i do not have the button to update the Companion part at all.

any possibility to update via network without disassembling the ROV?

like Download image and upload from there? i have this option …

Didi

If you have an internet connection, the update button should be available.

There is no way for a network update at this time without this button.

Have you made any modification to the ROV software or entered any commands on the raspberry pi console?

Hi,
internet connection is OK - shows connected to the WIFI (which is a mobile hotspot on my iPhone) and the test shows okay.

i’m not wer of any modification - everything else is working as expected. i’m currently on a business trip - so i cannot turn on my ROV and check. but could we do remote session when i’m back home?

Didi

Yes, This sounds strange. Please contact support@bluerobotics.com when you are ready and we can hang out.

Hi!
I have same issue, no update button in 0.0.15
I have internet indication in network page, tried both by wifi and like earlier upgrades, by ethernet/router.
Will not work with ROV for some week, so not urgent.

I have a distant memory of having similar issue like a year ago, that time it was something regional, ie based in europe that update servers did not like.

Bo

@Dpichler and @Boko We have had some of our engineering ROVs update just fine and we have had at least one not see the update either. It was on a different Wi-fi network, which was a bit slower than the one we have at our facility, so that may have something to do with it.

For the one troublesome ROV we had, I removed the SD card, erased it with SDformatter and then flashed the 0.0.16 image directly from here: Installation-Raspberry Pi

FYI
Now tested with a 1 Gbit internet fiber connection.
Still no update button, not with ethernet, nor with Wifi.
So, internet speed seems not to be the case.

Holy … Whats the best Method to get the so Card oft of this piece of Technology - Looks as you have to disassembe „everything“ behause its next to the Front of the Frame where the Camera is mounted …

Just Wanderung if there are Any Tipps how to get it out quickly?

There is an Upload Option on the System Page in the Companion section where i can browse for a zip file and Upload it - whats this for? Would it also work using this?

update:
found the “easy” way - just remove the front and oull out the sd Card :wink:

Cheers

@Bo @Dpichler, This may be a problem with your router configuration, not allowing the ROV access to the internet. If you continue to have trouble, you may post the log stored at /home/pi/.webui.log.

As @Dpichler has pointed out, you may always update by directly writing the companion image on the sd card.

webui.txt (429.2 KB)

Hi @jwalser!
Thanks for good advice as always on error checking!

I have tried several wifi and ethernet connections to get the Companion update button visible.
Also tried wifi and ethernet connections combined.
Attached is webui.log, renamed to webui.txt
(BTW I was not allowed to upload extensions .log to the forum)

Bo

Hi,

I also have no “Update companion” button, despite having wifi connectivity confirmed on the Network page. My current version is 0.0.15.

In 2018, to update from 0.0.10 to 0.0.15 (when I was unable to simultaneously connect to the ROV over ethernet and wifi, due to my organization’s restrictions), I was able to first download a zip file labeled “sideload” from this link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.bluerobotics.com/Pi/stable/ardusub-raspbian-sideload.zip
and successfully install it on the ROV using the “Upload” button, without having to remove the SD card.

Yesterday I tried that link and went through the upload process, but the link appears to still provide only version 0.0.15. Would it work for you to provide a link to a 0.0.16 sidelink zip file?

Thanks,
-Scott

Hi Scott,

You can check our last version and instructions here.
The last release contains everything necessary.

Scott, to answer your question, we do not have a sideload update prepared for the 0.0.16 image. You will need to connect the rov to the internet on the network page to download the update, or you will need to remove the sd card from the rov to write the updated image to it.

Thanks Jacob, very helpful answer. Bummer no sideload though- that seems like a generally easier user process than either diagnosing wifi/router settings or pulling the SD card…

There’s a few considerations:

• preparing the sideload file is a bit of a time consuming task.
  • there are very few (<10) people who have actually needed/requested/used this method to update
  • because of this it is best (for us) to let a stable release stabilize a bit before preparing the sideload file. We have already prepared another update (0.0.17) to release soon.

I’ve also removed the file from the link you provided. As you pointed out, it’s old.

Ah, I understand. I have since fixed the problem by using my cell phone as a local hotspot for a better / different wifi connection. The Update button magically appeared when I did that, and I updated successfully.

1 Like

I also do not see the Update button in the state of 0.0.15.
The latest Ardusub 3.5.4 has been successfully updated.
Suspected router or network problems. We have made connections to different networks and locations of mobile phones. But that button is not displayed. Is there any better way to solve this problem?