How to connect Bluerov2 to DVL

Hello.
I recently purchased a Waterlink “DVL A50”.
I would like to connect the DVL A50 to the BlueROV2, but there are some things that I can’t figure out just from the website that I referred to here.
The site I referred to: BlueROV2 - Documentation
How does the IO interface board connect to the ROV’s Raspberry Pi?
Please let me know how to connect it, preferably with a picture.
Thank you very much.

The version is Revision 3.

Hi @cymal6,

The docs you linked to specify the following ethernet connections between the various boards:

The closest thing I’ve got to a picture is the one from our ethernet switch:

The green arrow between and DVL represents an ethernet connection between the ethernet switch and the IO interface board.

If you’re using the ethernet switch linked to in the Water Linked guide, your connection to the DVL will be with a standard ethernet jack on the end, rather than the smaller connector used on ours :slight_smile:

1 Like

@EliotBR
Hi.Thanks for sharing your cool products.
I was able to install it on my ROV2 without any problems.
Now I have a new problem.
I’m trying to use the ROS of the DVL A50.
I was able to connect to the Raspberry Pi, but I’m confused at the stage of specifying the IP address.
It’s probably a simple problem, but I don’t know.
Can you please tell me how to find it?

Thank you for your help.

The settings are as shown in the following image.

You need to connect to the DVL ip address. I assume that is 192.168.2.95, if you have the standard network setup.

ROV IP: 192.168.2.2

DVL IP: 192.168.2.95

Hello, AL.
Thanks for the answer.

I’ve set the Raspberry Pi address for ROV to “192.168.2.2” as you said earlier in this community.
As AL said, I set the IP of the DVL to “192.168.2.95” and entered the ROS command. (Input command: rosrun waterlinked_a50_ros_driver publisher.py _ip:=192.168.2.95)
As a result, I got “[ERROR] [1637569038.234244]: No route to host, DVL might be booting? [Errno 111] Connection refused”.
When I pinged, I got the following result, and there seems to be no problem with the ROV connection configuration. (Except for the IP address)
— 192.168.2.95 ping statistics —.
8 packets transmitted, 8 received, 0% packet loss, time 7168ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.312/0.330/0.367/0.027 ms

Please tell me again what kind of network configuration you have.

Thank you very much.

@cymal6 any updates on this,
as this seems to me not a solution at all

Hi @nurjan14,

1. DVL functionality was merged into the latest stable Companion software
  2. Companion is no longer being developed - we’ve moved to BlueOS, which now handles DVL-A50 support via an extension (which is the recommended approach, and will actually receive updates)

Is there a particular part of the setup which is not working for you?

Hi @EliotBR

I am trying using BlueOS latest official release, and complete configuration according to the guide DVL Integration · GitBook and GitHub - bluerobotics/BlueOS-Water-Linked-DVL.

Here are what I got:

1. I can see in the available service the http://192.168.2.2:9001/ service shown and given me such data

2. that’s what I got from DVL dashboard

3. I can access it through typing in chrome http://192.168.2.117:16171/

4. but there is no connection between BlueOS and dvl itself so it can use dvl data as Extrenal gps reference i.e. I don’t see Running status and the QGC doesn’t announce “EKF3 IMU0 STARTED RELATIVE AIDING” and "EKF3 IMU0 FUSING ODOMETRY message whatsoever.

5. I’ve tried to run separately publisher and subscriber from dvl-a50-ros-driver/scripts at master · waterlinked/dvl-a50-ros-driver · GitHub and I can able see them in rostopic list and echo the data which mostly the same Json data I receiving in the chrome by accessing http://192.168.2.117:16171/

6. I can set new origin in http://192.168.2.2:9001/ and it appear in the GQC as small bluerov 2d icon on the global map, but when I zoom in (scale 10ft) it doesn’t move back and forth when I move it in real water tank which is about 3m in length. The only I can see is the orientation is changing (so at least my IMU is working)

So my thoughs that either I missing something in configuration or doing something wrong somewhere else or the docker from GitHub - bluerobotics/BlueOS-Water-Linked-DVL something missing.

If you have any question let me know and/or you need log file

Thanks for the detailed information :slight_smile:

I’m not certain what’s going on here so I’ve passed this on to the software team to take a look at, and will get back to you.

Hi all,

I’m doing integration of DVL A50 to BlueROV. I found 2 tutorials:

1. BlueROV2 - Documentation

2. Integrating the DVL A50 on the BlueROV2

The first one seems older than the second one.

In the first one, the I/O Interface Board of the DVL is used while in the second one, the ethernet communication (TD+, TD-, RD+, RD-) is directly connected to BlueRobotics Ethernet Switch.

My question is that:
My A50 DVL is the first version (in inox color, not black one). Can I follow the second tutorial without the IO Interface board?

Hi @lamhung81,

The Blue Robotics guide you linked to (2.) is intended for people who’ve bought their DVL A50 through Blue Robotics since we started our The Reef initiative in June, because we sell them with the wiring pre-prepared for plugging directly into our Ethernet Switch. As mentioned in that guide,

I’m not certain what you’re asking here - our tutorial does not mention the I/O Interface board because we sell the DVL with connectors on the wires. If you don’t have those connectors then you won’t be able to follow our tutorial because your hardware won’t match.