Gps g2/integration kit/simrad hs60 via actisense ngw conversion gateway

Having problems with NMEA out - see above - any suggestions?

Setup is:

Simrad hs60 to actisense nmea2000/0183 gateway/usb serial converter into PC com6.

Waterlinked GPS2 and blueROV into fathom x tether interface into PC.

PC runs NMEA bridge, but input flashes red with ‘TIROT’ and ‘HDHDG’ not supported

and “HDT and THS recieved - can give jumpy orientation”

How do I get the NMEA bridge output back to the waterlinked box? and remove the errors from the input?

Thanks…

Drawing below…

Hi!
I do not use this way to handle NMEA in/out, instead I use Python modules.
Therefore I can not give you good answers.
One thing I saw was that you sent NMEA to 192.168.2.1:139
I would use the internal PC adress (loopback) 127.0.0.1:139 instead

More info about your module from Waterlinkeds site: GitHub - waterlinked/ugps-nmea-go: Water Linked NMEA Underwater GPS bridge
Since this module and the setup only includes Waterlinked products, you might also post at forum: https://waterlinked.com/forums/forum/underwater-gps/
Bo

Many thanks, unfortunately I get this:

Can´t tell the big problem, one small is that you should not use TCP, use UDP communication for NMEA

Hugh,

The NMEA looks to be received from the serial port and sent to the UGPS as far as I can see. (Let’s sort out the "jumpy orientation afterwards).

Looks like the UGPS is giving a status code of 500 which normally means the position cannot be calculated for some reason. Can you take a look in the GUI to see what kind of error the “system status” is showing you?

Apologies for the brief screenshot email from my phone Kristian – the ROV is setup outside and my PC is inside.

The underwater locator acquires GPS lock, solid green LED. Its then placed in the test tank with the uGPS antennae.

Hugh

image001.jpg

|

Kristian wlkh Water Linked Engineer
January 25

|

• | - |

Hugh,

The NMEA looks to be received from the serial port and sent to the UGPS as far as I can see. (Let’s sort out the "jumpy orientation afterwards).

Looks like the UGPS is giving a status code of 500 which normally means the position cannot be calculated for some reason. Can you take a look in the GUI to see what kind of error the “system status” is showing you?

image001.jpg

In order to test everything you will have to move the topside somewhere it can get a GPS fix (ie the GPS has a clear view of the sky). It should be enough to put the Locator next to the receiver (are you using receivers or antenna?) to get signal from the locator (ie you don’t need to put it in water if that is inconvenient).

Please share a screenshot once you have gotten GPS fix on the topside and locator.

That’s improved things. Does the WL internal gps need a position for time synch? Rather than using external gps.

We are also seeing some intermittent socket errors - we need to shutdown/restart everything to resolve them.

It seems that you need to get a timesynch with internal GPS then switch to external.

The position (Lat/Long) is not displayed on Qgroundcontrol, and the comms link page is blank - i have reinstalled QGC - same issue.

What next?

The requirement to for the internal GPS to need position depends on the locator. The internal GPS is always used for time-sync when using the Locator U1 which means it needs to get a position fix (regardless of the GPS being set to internal/external/static). This means that you do not need to initially set it to internal then switch to external, you can just leave it as external and internal GPS will be used for sync anyway.

What kind of socket errors are you getting?

I’ve built a release 1.4.0 of ugps-nmea-go which supports setting what heading sentence to use. (New parameter “-heading HDT” ). This should allow you to get rid of the “jumpy position” warning

That’s great - I will try that today.

Just need to get Lat and Long displayed on Qgc - any tips?

Thanks.

@williangalvani maybe you can assist with the Lat/Lon in QGC?

Hi!
To get ahead of the timezones here are som info to get ROV position in QGC.

ROV NMEA position needs to be sent to the ROV, 192.168.2.2 at UDP port 27000
https://discuss.bluerobotics.com/t/how-to-display-gps-on-ground-control/1442/8
After that QGC will get the position and display it.

Way to send position is usually using Python script that fetch postion from Waterlinked:
One BR script for that: companion/underwater-gps.py at master · bluerobotics/companion · GitHub

Kristian, how do I edit in and out? - previous versions ran from a bat file that was editable.

For example i need input: com6@4800 and output: 192.168.2.2 at UDP port 27000

Thanks.

The latest version is just the same as the earlier. Create a start.bat file. Once created you can typically right click and select edit and then put the correct parameters in the file.

In QGC 4.0.11, you can add it the values panel
If both show 0, that means ArduSub is not getting a valid position.

Yes they both show zero - everything else working fine.

Comms link page is blank on QGC.

Willian, i’ve followed the troubleshooting steps - but still get no GPS lock:

Waterlinked position is happy:

and autoconnect is on:

The previous waterlinked underwater explorer kit worked well.

What can I try to get the integration with QGC?