Electronic package topside, Camera, light, depth and temperature sensor subsea

Hey, Dustin, I don’t have pics or much detail to share, but I can tell you I used a Raspberry Pi Zero W and Ethernet Hub and USB Hub w/ Micro USB OTG Connector : ID 2992 : $14.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

I’m running Raspbian Stretch on the Pi. I think that gstreamer/gst-launch-1.0 is installed by default and that installation works to stream video, but I can’t tell you that for sure.

The hardware/software config is like the diagram shown here:

However, the USB camera doesn’t require the raspivid software part… and there’s no pixhawk so you don’t need the MAVProxy part.

gstreamer is software that reads the video from the camera and sends it over the network to QGC. It is launched by a gst-launch-1.0 command as discussed here:

Again, I believe, unlike the issues I had in that thread, that the gstreamer installed on recent Raspbian (or at least installed using the apt package manager) is fine, but I’m not 100% sure. I’d have to try it with a fresh install, which I can’t do right now.

My tests so far of the video streaming from the Blue Robotics USB Low Light Camera with that Adafruit USB hub and Pi Zero were limited to a quick go/no-go check to see if it was basically feasible, and it seemed to work okay. I haven’t stress-tested it, and I don’t have good notes about precisely what I did with it, but I think since the camera handles the compression, the Pi Zero doesn’t have that much to do.