Cannont get video from the BlueROV2

Hi,
I am a new user of the BlueROV2. When I connect the ROV with my computer(which is working on Ubuntu 16.04) and I open the QGroudControl, there are no video input from the BlueROV. When I check the console output, there are error message of “VideoReceiver::start() failed. Error with gst_element_factory_make(‘avdec_h264’)”. I have used the apt install gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-libav command, however it is not working. When I connect the ROV with other computer working on windows and MacOS, everything works well. Can anyone suggest a way to trace the problem? And if everything failed, how can I restore QGround Control?

Hi,

Are you using QGC with AppImage ? Please, download the last version here.
QGC is a standalone application and no library installation should be necessary.

I installed the QGC from the ardusub gitbook Installation | ardusub-gitbook . The most confusing part is I am using dual boot for my computer and when I run QGC on the windows 10, it works fine. But when I work on Ubuntu 16.04, the video cannot be captured from the BlueROV.

Hello,

Can you run these commands and check if it helps?

Thank you for all your help. I’ve tried to install gstreamer by all these commands

list=$(apt-cache --names-only search ^gstreamer1.0-* | awk '{ print $1 }' | grep -v gstreamer1.0-hybris)
sudo apt-get install $list
sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev

However, the problem remains the same. The console keep reporting “VideoReceiver::start() failed. Error with gst_element_factory_make(‘avdec_h264’)”
I am wondering if this is the configuration problem for the Ubuntu? As I can control the ROV, I am quite sure that I have established a valid connection with the ROV but not for video streaming :frowning:

This specific issue affects video only. For some reason gstreamer is unable to create the h264 decoder node.

What is your current hardware? Do you have a dedicated GPU? If so, what drivers are you using for it?

sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
1 Like

I have run gst-inspect-1.0 avdec_h264 on the terminal. It returns "No such element or plugin ‘avdec_h264’ ". I did a brief search on the internet but most of them suggested me to install the libraries which I have already installed. What will you suggest me to try next? Should I uninstall all the related gstreamer files and re-install them?

@williangalvani @patrickelectric @jwalser Thank you for all your help. I have reinstall the whole system and with the libraries installed, it works! :smile:

1 Like

I am glad you managed to get it working.
I tested in a Ubuntu 16.04 VM here and all it took was apt install gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-libav.
Maybe something got corrupted in your install. If you see something like this again, I suggest reinstalling the packages above using the same command with the --reinstall flag.

1 Like

I am glad you managed to get it working.
I tested in a Ubuntu 16.04 VM here and all it took was apt install gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-libav.
Maybe something got corrupted in your install. If you see something like this again, I suggest reinstalling the packages above using the same command with the --reinstall flag.

1 Like