Can i power the blue rov 2 with 12V?

Hello,

I have a board with a DC/DC converter wich can output 12V 50A and 600W. Is it enough to power the BlueROV2 Electronics Enclosure for custom ROVs?

I saw that the ROV enclosure from the Outland technology power supply for the blue rov 2 has an output of 15v with around 67A and 1000W. why is that so? Do i need this much power or my board is enough?

Best regards
Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,
12Vdc at 50A is enough to power up thrusters and electronics of the Bluerov2.
Of course, you should consider that, 12V will limit the thrust force of the T200 ( see related graph ) .
Also, you should consider any voltage drop across your power supply cable that will increase as the current drawn increase.
Expect lower than 12Vdc at your bluerov bus bar.

Taking in consideration our Power Supply System as example,

Link to SubseaLED 1500W power supply

We deliver 14Vdc at 107A Continuosly (132A Peak)
At 100% gain with the standard bluerov 2, we experience a voltage drop of around 0,7Vdc. This means we get around 13,3 Vdc at the Bus bars.

You can see the related video to better understand it.

Link to 1500W PSS test in tank

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply, It has resolved my doubts.

I didn’t considered the voltage drop so I will take that in consideration. I checked the video and the link of your power supply, very informative!

Best regards
Alessandro

Hi @alessandro02, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

For reference, here’s some relevant discussion on the power breakdown there, including efficiency losses for power transfer.

As @SubseaLED mentioned, using a 12V supply limits the thrust of the T200s, but will also reduce the maximum required power for the vehicle to operate. You will still need to consider how you operate the vehicle though, as the maximum current draw for a single 12V-powered T200 at full throttle is ~17 A, so if your vehicle has 6 (or more) thrusters then trying to run all of them at full throttle simultaneously would require >100A of current, which is double what your power system can provide.