BlueROV2 Connection Problem with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Hello,

I have been trying to connect my BlueROV2 to my Ubuntu, but the Qgroundcontrol keeps showing ‘waiting for vehicle connection’

I have connected this BlueROV2 to a Windows system, the connection was good, and the I could control the thruster by programming. I believe the ROV is not broken.

I have changed the IP address by following the manual Installation | ardusub-gitbook

and followed the steps from troubleshooting page Redirecting...

The connection looks good, I can see the signal by typing ‘ping 192.168.2.2’ and the ip address was correct, here is my screen shot

I tried to reboot, also the UDP box is checked in QGroundControl, still waiting for connection.

I was wondering if you could help me with this problem.

Thanks!

Hi Brandon,

Can you confirm that you have Pixhawk Autopilot as one of the detected serial devices in the companion web interface System page, and that mavproxy appears in the Active Services section on the same page? Would be good if you can provide a screenshot of the companion computer’s mavproxy screen session as outlined in the Check MAVProxy section of the troubleshooting page. If that’s all good then I’d suggest trying the Reset MavProxy Options instructions just underneath the Check MAVProxy section.

Note that the troubleshooting link you provided is to an old version of that page with some incorrect links in it - my link is to the new one. Not sure what the deal is there, and I’m chasing that up internally at the moment to try to find out why we have two versions of the same page. Same applies to the installation page you linked to. Out of interest, did you reach those pages directly through a search, or from somewhere else?

Hello Eliot,

Thank for your reply.

I followed the steps from your suggestion and here is the screenshot of them.

System page:

mavproxy in the same page:

and the troubleshooting page with terminal:

I google my question and get into the discussion page of this website. I found those links from other people’s topic.

Please let me know if I need to provide more information.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Brandon,

Those first two screenshots are of the “Network” page rather than the “System” page (you can change page with the buttons at the top, or by changing the url), but given the mavproxy setup is displaying, and the web terminal screen session is showing a connection then I’m assuming the Pixhawk Autopilot will be showing up as a serial device, and the mavproxy service will exist too.

Your screenshots show that you’re on companion version 0.0.17, but the latest one is 0.0.26. Can you please go through our Software Setup guide and make sure you’ve done all the steps? Hopefully once you’re through the Update Software section your connection issues should be sorted out :slight_smile:

Ok cool, thanks for the info. There are apparently some old versions of pages left from a major website structure change a while ago, which I’m now in the process of sorting out. The troubleshooting page you linked to now redirects automatically to the new one :slight_smile:

Hello Eliot,

Thank you for your reply, here is my screen shot of the “System” page.

Also I have uploaded my companion and Ardusub.

Besides that, I have follow all the steps on https://bluerobotics.com/learn/bluerov2-software-setup/, but the connection problem is still there. “Waiting for Vehicle Connection”

My laptop has dual systems, the connection is good in the Windows system, but not here in the Linux, could it because of something related to the dual systems?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Brandon, that seems mostly fine to me, although the Pixhawk seems to be showing up as fmuv2 in the Serial Devices instead of as Pixhawk Autopilot.

I haven’t had this issue before, so I’ve asked our software team in case they have any additional information or suggestions. They or I will get back to you soon :slight_smile:

I see the ArduSub version Brandon is using is 4.2.0. Is that correct? Seems a lot newer.

Hi,

I guess he clicked “development” instead of stable when updating it. But it shouldn’t matter for this issue.

Since it works fine in Windows, this must mean there is some networking issue in your Ubuntu setup.
From your images, everything looks correct.

Is there anything unusual in your networking comparing to a standard Bluerov2?

Is the video coming through? If you can’t see the video, it may be an UDP issue. If you do get video, maybe it is related to mavproxy’s broadcast.

Hello Willian,

Thank you for your reply.

I updated my ArduSub together with companion after I post this topic.

I check the QGroundControl again, I cannot see the video.

Could you please let me know how can I check if the UDP is correct.

Thank you so much.

Hello Willian,

I also check my connection through the ‘ping viewer’, it looks like the laptop cannot detect the serial port but udp is detected.

Here are my screen shots:

Hi @Brandonyxf, a few more questions/things to try:

• do you have any kind of firewall running on your ubuntu machine? They don’t tend to be enabled by default, but if you’ve put one there/enabled one it could be blocking access to the UDP connections for your mavlink and video data
  • if you run QGroundControl from the command-line are there any errors that come up?
  • can you try installing QGroundControl from the official QGC instructions? It will get you to install gstreamer, and the version of QGC will be 4.1 instead of our currently recommended 4.0.5, but it may work.
  • Once gstreamer is installed you can try running the command gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! autovideosink to confirm that it’s working (it should open a rainbow window with some flickering white noise. If that works correctly then please try to run gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=5600 ! application/x-rtp, payload=96 ! rtpjitterbuffer ! rtph264depay ! h264parse ! avdec_h264 ! autovideosink to see if gstreamer can find the udp stream for your video. If that works then I expect QGC will as well, but see how you go.
  • your Active Services don’t seem to show that a ping device is connected (if you had a Ping1D connected it would show up as pingmav and pingproxy). The udp ‘detection’ you saw in PingViewer is just the default IP address, so it likely isn’t actually detecting udp at all. If you manually connect to a potential ping connection the PingViewer will sometimes continue to display it as an option in the connection manager even if it never successfully connected, so that likely doesn’t provide any extra information.

Hello Eliot,

Thanks for your reply, it is the firewall problem.

I asked the school’s technician disable it, and the connection is good now.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like