BlueOS feedback - Build firmware with waf for the navigator flight controller

Version: tags/1.0.1-0-gbc26236Build: 4/6/2022, 3:04:28 PM

I’m building an underwater drone that steers like a plane.
So therefore I’m trying to make a firmware build, combining the safety features of the SUB, with the steering of the plane, firmware.

So my problem is, that when building the standard firmware for a SUB, with waf, from ardupilot GIT repository, and flash it to the navigator board, then I lose the heartbeat.

What is the name for the BlueRobotic navigator bord, when building firmware with waf?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Hi @BjornAU, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Sounds like an interesting project :slight_smile:
I suppose it’s somewhat related to our broader goal of advanced control options for ArduSub - I’m interested to know how you go!

The way I did it was;
ran: ./waf configure --board navigator
ran: ./waf sub

I took the ardusub build from build/navigator/bin/ and uploaded it to the navigator board thru the BlueOS web interface.

I restarted the board and rebooted the RPi. when it was booted up the heartbeat was lost, and I couldn’t get connection to QGroundControle

The repository I used is a clone of the GitHub - ArduPilot/ardupilot: ArduPlane, ArduCopter, ArduRover, ArduSub source repository, should I use another repository?
Or is there other things I should do differently?

@BjornAU double check your gcc version, I recommend 9.2.1.

Newer ones cause glibc issues in the Pi.

1 Like

I need a little more help.
I’m trying to control a towed underwater glider, that I’m developing and building for Claus Melvad at Aarhus University.

I have tried installing the firmware from the menu in BlueOS, with this firmware, I have a heartbeat in BlueOS and a connection to QGC_9.2.1.

Then because I’m building an underwater glider, I wanted to build the Sub firmware with waf as a test.
for this my procedure was;

• Clone of the GitHub-Ardupilot repository, to make my own branch, and cloned the branch to a folder in Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).
  • In the Ubuntu terminal I ran ./waf clean to start in the clean.
  • Ran ./waf configure --board navigator
  • Ran ./waf sub
  • Then I uploaded the file ardusub, from the path \\wsl$\Ubuntu-22.04\home\pix\ardupilot\build\navigator\bin thru BlueOS Upload custom firmware

And then i loos the HeartBeat in BlueOS og forbindelsen til QGC_9.2.1.

I have the result from the terminal but I cant upload it, as I’m new to the forum

1. Where did I go wrong?
  2. In the end I need firmware for a vehicle that acts like an underwater plane, with the sub failsafes. would it then be easier to implement failsafes from a sub on a plane or the other way around?
  3. Is there a main build file with what to include, in the respective vehicle firmware?

Now I understand what you ment.
I got it working using the info from another topic about the same problem:

2 Likes