Whether blueos can run completely on different chips equipped with linux

Continuing the discussion from BlueOS major features and cockpit extensions usage issues (will continue to update):

hi,BlueOS! :wink:
My question this time is whether blueOS can run on other hardware platforms besides Raspberry PI and jetson Nano? As far as I know, the Raspberry PI 4 generation B CPU type is Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit @ 1.5GHz :face_with_monocle:. For some reason, we may run blueOS on boards other than the Raspberry PI in the future :sweat_drops:, and we are concerned that BlueOS may not be compatible with certain specific chip models. For example, if we use Horizon Robotics Sunrise X3, a console that can load ubuntu20.04, as long as we are sure that it can run Ubuntu, we can disregard all considerations to download docker and run blueos smoothly? :thought_balloon:
The CPU type of the Sunrise Pi (Horizon Robotics) is the Horizon X3 (Sunrise X3). Specifically, it is based on Horizon’s self-developed architecture, integrating a quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor running at 1.2GHz, and also includes a Horizon-developed BPU (Brains Processing Unit) for accelerating AI algorithms.

Detailed Configuration

• CPU: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1.2GHz
  • AI Acceleration: Integrates Horizon’s self-developed BPU, dedicated to accelerating deep learning models

These features make the Sunrise X3 particularly suitable for AI and edge computing applications, enabling efficient image processing, object detection, and other complex tasks.)
I do worry about whether I will be affected by the specific chip model and not be able to fully run BlueOS, or not be able to enable docker’s full features. :cry:

Hi @xiaoliyu,

We have a description of how the BlueOS software stack works in our development documentation. Docker is a containment system, and if your device is unable to install Docker then it won’t be able to run the BlueOS-core functionality, or BlueOS-bootstrap (which normally starts the BlueOS-core image, on device startup or when updating firmware and the like).

If you have Ubuntu installed then it is likely you can also install docker. That said, we’d generally recommend following our BlueOS manual installation instructions instead, because the install script will try to install Docker automatically if it can’t find it on the system, as part of the process.

Note that our BlueOS install script cannot do hardware configuration (wifi, I2C, etc) for boards other than the ones it’s been explicitly set up for. The install script should print out a hash we can use to determine the relevant hardware details, so if there are usage issues after installation then please provide that hash so we can try to determine what would be necessary to fully support your board.

From a quick search online, it seems the Cortex-A53 implements the ARMv8 64-bit instruction set, which should be ok.

1 Like