What should be changed to make Blueos work on another SBC?

Hello everyone
I am trying to install BlueOS on OrangePi3 , which is an another SBC which run Ubuntu on it . And my installation is almost successful , I can conmunicate with it though webpage , but it cannot conmunicate with my pixhawk contoller . It seems like the reason is that the OrangePi organize the device in a differernt way with RassbarryPi ( for example there is no ttyAMAx device ) , so some of the scripts do not work right . What should I do to make it work?

Hi @awerds, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If we knew the exact steps required to support an alternative operating system and/or device type, we would add them to the installer script ourselves and would already support it. As is, there’s been some discussion about Ubuntu support here, but as it’s not something we’ve tried ourselves (and since we also don’t have access to an OrangePi or the time to test with one) we can’t provide installation steps until someone else tries it and determines a set of steps that works.

Note that

We’re very willing to help out if someone wants to try to add support for another board type, but it’s not something we have the bandwidth to actively work on by ourselves at the moment.

Im Just porting to Tinker Board 2S, and docker software is working properly, but something function still has problem:

1. About System Pages does not display correct infomation. (include Board Name And Firmware Name…)
  2. the top info button shows many errors. (most of errors are about not find vehicle name, I’m not sure the problem is not plugged in flight controller board)
  3. Tinker board 2 has just two UART. One is UART0 and the other is UART4, that means the controller board have two serial pins cannot working. (But Asus have Tinker Board S R2.0 bofore 2S, It has full 4 UART pins.)

Im using Debian 10 (Kernel 4.19) That Provided By Asus:

Hi @minexo79,

Porting BlueOS to a new board generally requires adding support for it in the install directory. The recommended process is to read through the install.sh script, add anything you’re aware will need changing, then try running it (on your board) and fix any errors that occur from there.

Once the installation is working without errors you can check to ensure the functionality is as expected, and if it’s not (or if you get stuck) we can try to help figure out what’s going wrong and provide guidance as relevant :slight_smile:

We recommend submitting a pull request to the main BlueOS repository once the adjusted installation is confirmed to work, so that others can also use that board if they wish to :slight_smile:

I asked about this and was told it likely requires configuring the cgroups. For reference, here is where that’s done for the Raspberry Pi 4 board type.

If you haven’t created a modified installer script then it’s expected that not all functionalities will work on a currently unsupported SBC.

You will need to create the appropriate configuration for this in a board file. Raspberry Pis handle this with adjustments in /boot/config.txt, but you’ll need to look into how to do the same for your board type.

I Checked The Pinout From Asus Provided. The Tinker Board 2S Just Pull Two UART Pins Into GPIO, so I Think The Flight Controller Can Plug Only 2 Modules (ex: GPS + RC).

Anyway. Thanks your guide, I’ill try it next!