Vacuum testing and the vacuum tester failures

Hi

The vacuum testers I use turn out to be a failures after a while. Can any one recommend a bullet proof version or another method of testing the seals.

Regards

Julian

That was my experience with the brass pumps as well. I ended up getting a “mityvac” (made by Parker Hanifin) which seems better made and hasn’t had issues.

Hi Paul

Looking at their mityvac website is that their hand pumps?

Thanks

Julian

In Denmark/Sweden, this is available:

http://www.biltema.dk/da/Bil---MC/Varktoj-og-varkstedsudstyr/Testinstrument-og-Elektronik/Vakuumtesterbremseudluftningssat-2000022139/

1 Like

Wow that looks the business.

Thanks

Julian

Thanks Paul, I shall have a look.

Thanks

Julian

I’ve had lots of luck with this one and it has a way to attach a tube to the valve that returns air that has been vacuumed out of the enclosure. I’m in Florida and humidity is a real problem and I return dry air into the ROV enclosure Vacum

Thanks Heinz.

We use the mighty vac as well. We once had some trouble finding an air leak. We rented (for free) a vacuum pump, used to do Air Conditioning work, from Autozone that drew a vacuum so quickly that we were actually able to hear the leak and find that we were getting air through a wire sheath from a leaking external camera. The electric vac also can remove all of the water from the container by boiling it off.

Thanks Joe

Hi All,

I use this nifty little 12 vdc electric vacuum pump with a vacuum gauge and cutoff valve and it works great. I can easily pump down to a 22 in vacuum with it.

I was getting blisters from using the hand pump until it finally died of old age!

Regards,
TCIII AVC

1 Like

Please tell us more TC! I like this idea!:grinning:

@TinyDiver,

After the hand pump broke I salvaged the vacuum gauge off of it and purchased the 12 vdc vacuum pump I linked above from Amazon.

I then went to Home Depot and purchased an in-line “T” fitting to mount the vacuum gauge and an inline air compressor cutoff valve plus the same size tubing that comes with the BR2 ROV kit.

From the “T” junction of the BR vacuum “T” I cut some tubing to go from the “T” to the in-line “T” fitting that the gauge is mounted on and then some more tubing to go to the cutoff valve and then another length of tubing to go to the vacuum inlet side of the 12 vdc vacuum pump.

To start vacuum testing I insert the two vacuum plug attachments into their respective vent plug penetrators, turn off the cutoff valve and then start the 12 vdc vacuum pump with a small 12 vdc power supply.

Once the vacuum pump has evacuated the pump side of the cutoff valve, I slowly open the cutoff valve and watch the vacuum gauge until it reads 10 inches of vacuum at which point I close the cutoff valve and wait the required 15 minutes.

I have found that my ROV WTC builds are very vacuum tight and can hold a 10 inch vacuum for 18 hours without vacuum loss.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

i just saw this last week and ordered the pump you advised on. Do i really need to use to fitting on the pump or can one just be capped. i have not powered it up yet. i will use the same T fitting you did and take what i can from the br pump i already have. im done with the forearm pump.