Two usb cameras

Hi everybody,

I have recently bought the “low light USB camera” and when I plug it in BR2 the ground station screen switch immediately to the new camera. First question: how BR2 understand the new camera and shows picture from it and not from the old camera? Second question: is it possible to have two usb cameras on raspberry pi and switch the screen of ground station between them?

nmau

Hi Nikos,

The startup script for the cameras is able to detect what type of camera is attached (between the Raspberry Pi camera and the USB Camera) and start the appropriate one. I believe the USB camera is prioritized if both cameras are attached at the same time.

We don’t have support for multiple cameras streaming to QGC yet, but this is something we’re working on! It will be available in a future software update.

-Rusty

5 Likes

@rjehangir,

thank you Rusty, for your reply. Continue your good effort!

nmau

hi Rusty the are some update for the software to support multiple cameras streaming?

1 Like

No, there is no development yet. You may check on github for updates on features and bugfixes (look at the issues tab) and new releases/updates (check the releases tab).

https://github.com/bluerobotics/companion/issues/181

May I just add a camera and watch it on browser?

It’s possible, but we don’t support multiple video cameras right now. Check the open ticket on github for updates.

Put a 4-port ethernet hub and a stripped-down 8-camera security-system DVR board inside the WTC, hook up as many as 8 microcams (I use 7 and an eBay Panasonic SDR-T55 camcorder), view all 8 camera feeds at once in browser on separate monitor.
Microcams i use… Foxeer Razer Mini 1/3 CMOS HD 5MP 2.1mm M12 Lens 1200TVL 4:3/16:9 NTSC/PAL Switchable FPV Camera For RC Drone Sale - Banggood USA-arrival notice-arrival notice

2 Likes

Hello, i would like to ask if i will have any issues with Fathom Tether’s bandwidth and the new Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera.

Hi @steneo23,

The bandwidth may be limited by the raspberry USB bus, since it shares the bandwidth of the bus with the ethernet port. That’ll probably be the big barrier.
The second problem is the H264 encoder that the raspberry contains, it’s only possible to encode 1080p@30fps. You could try to send the video in raw, but this will probably need some special code in QGC to handle. Different from the low light usb camera, the new Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera has no h264 encoder.