Thruster stutters

Anyone experience their thruster all of suddenly starts to “stutter” or “cogg”? And if you have a solution for it?

Cheers!

Cory

Cory,

Stuttering usually means that one of the three motor wires is disconnected or broken. Have you checked them? Might be a good idea to check with a ohmmeter. Each wire should be connected to the other two with an ohm or two of resistance.

-Rusty

Rusty,

Thanks for the assist, that’s what it was, one of the wires is cut somewhere. Now I have to strip the wire after cutting it off from the plug and redo whole process. :frowning:

Thanks,
Cory

Rusty,

After I proceeded to cut the wire from where I potted it with epoxy, I stripped the ends and tested the resistances, still noticed the same wire was dead, could the dead “spot” be towards the end of the motor side, curious if you guys have experienced that on your end?

I suppose the only way for me to find out is to strip and cut the cable gradually until I find the spot. I noticed when my rov rolled, that’s when 2 of the motors experienced the stutter effect.

Cory

Cory,

I suppose it’s possible, especially if it was caused or aggravated by the rocks entering the motor. I would suggest opening up the motor and checking for damage to the wires inside.

How much have you run this motor? Was this the first time?

I’m sure we’ll get this figured out. If it turns out to be related to manufacturing then we’ll be happy to replace the broken parts.

-Rusty

Rusty,

I also did disassemble both motors, didn’t notice any wire damage to the coils. The only part I can’t check is where the wires are soldered to the motor end and seals with black epoxy.

This was my first dive, I haven’t ran the motors all that much. When I was building the kit, I armed it twice to check the controls and make sure all motors were running, then I ran it again in the bathtub very shortly and the lake would be the third time I’ve ran it.

If you want, I can go ahead and strip both cables all the way down to the ends where it connects to the wire and figure out along the way where the dead spot is. The weird thing is that in both motors, it’s only 1 of the three wires has no resistance, the other two are fine.

Let me know if you think this is a good method to troubleshoot it. I know if I strip it down, I would not be able to use it all that much again. But atleast we’ll maybe have a better idea to the cause of it?

Cheers!

Cory

Delete