Threaded insert for BR2 Frame

Hi guys,

Im looking for the “threaded inserts” inside the frame of the BR2 but I need more details about it can you please support?

Can you guys please detail

1. Type of the insert
  2. Lenght of the insert
  3. Diameter of the insert
  4. Diameter of the hole in the base

Seems like the base has a hole with a diameter of 6.3 but this insert shows 7.1 with the sharpen area, is it self threaded? or you have to tap the hole in the base before fixing the insert?

one of the inserts inside my base is not fixed anymore so i want to know if i need to tap the hole again or if its self threaded.

Regards,
Luis

Hi Luis,

Type of the insert

It is a “Twist-Resistant Hex Insert”.

Length of insert

They are 6.7 mm long.

Diameter of the insert

The flat to flat dimension is 6.35 mm.

The point to point dimension is 7.33 mm.

Diameter of the hole in the base

The hole that the insert goes into is 6.3 mm.

Seems like the base has a hole with a diameter of 6.3 but this insert shows 7.1 with the sharpen area, is it self threaded? or you have to tap the hole in the base before fixing the insert?

We pressed the insert straight into the hole using a mechanical press, but it can be done with a hammer.

one of the inserts inside my base is not fixed anymore so i want to know if i need to tap the hole again or if its self threaded.

I would recommend rotating the insert 30° from the orientation that it pulled out of the hole, and pressing it back it.

These inserts were a large part of the reason that we updated the frame design.

Best,

Jonathan

1 Like

Hi Jonathan,

Really thanks for the info but I still have some questions as you are the mechanical engineer.

I cannot fin the “Twist resistant hex insert” googling it.

I´ve found this insert so far from a distributor in mexico

lenght 9.53 milimeters still good as the base has 1cm of hole
recommended hole 6.35mm which i believe is ok
diameter 7.14
and is mor M5 bolt

If i try to design my own base to tweak a little bit the design of the BR2 should it be possible to use this kind of inserts or i better try to use the ones on the BR2.

As i dont have a mechanical press im afraid i can break the HDPE frame.

On the update of the frame which is very nice compared to the old BR2 frame it says “We have changed the threaded inserts from press-in inserts to captured inserts. We made this change to make the frame stronger and more rigid. This makes it much more ruggedized and resistant to damage”

Are this inserts the same im pointing out on this post?

Regards,
LG

Luis,

I cannot fin the “Twist resistant hex insert” googling it

This is a term that McMaster-Carr uses. We are using a part is dimensionally very similar to this part.

I´ve found this insert so far from a distributor in mexico

I doubt that you will be able to find a 316 version of this part without getting a machine shop to make it for you. If you need new ones, we can send those to you. We may be the only place in the world to find this part in 316 stainless.

If i try to design my own base to tweak a little bit the design of the BR2 should it be possible to use this kind of inserts or i better try to use the ones on the BR2.

We have not experimented with that type of insert, so I could not tell you what results to expect. I would say generally the larger the threads on the outside of the insert the more likely it is to work well. The problem with these inserts is they pull straight out of the hole they are placed in, so the more surface area preventing that on the outside the better.

As i dont have a mechanical press im afraid i can break the HDPE frame.

You will not break the frame by using a hammer to press in the insert, unless you do something really creative. On the bottom panels we installed the inserts using a hammer, since they didn’t fit in our press. Worst case you will dent the frame near the insert hole. This is assuming you fully remove the part with the bad insert before reinstalling the insert.

Are this inserts the same im pointing out on this post?

Yes. The new design addresses the insert getting pulled out problem by putting material between the insert and the edge of the piece. The picture below shows this.

Best,

Jonathan

1 Like

Hi Jonathan,

I believe you have pointed out all the questions I had,

So it might be better to buy them from BR if its possible.

Just for my information to know how many I might need. The ones on the electronics frame are the same ones used in the base correct?

Regards,
LG

Luis,

There are 12 total. 4 in the “H” shaped piece and 2 in each of the parts that the fairings mount to.

Best,

Jonathan

1 Like

The way that you reinstalled the threaded insert looks good. It is similarly strong to the original installation in that orientation.

1 Like

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks!! it was actually not so difficult with the advices you had given me.

Regards,
LG