Tether Quick Disconnect

Hi Tim,

We’re injection molding the rubber. These connectors are designed for relatively mass manufacturing.

-Rusty

Interesting. Are you planning on offering them as add on end connectors as well?

Tim, yes, absolutely!

2 Likes

Just curious … what rubber compound are you going to be molding the plugs with? I used to mold subsea rubber connectors at one time.

Rubber is cheaper and REAL quick. Holler if you need to adjust your cook times etc. Got that stuff down pat.

Hi Harold,

I don’t want to go into too much detail here but I’ll reach out to you about it.

-Rusty

Hi Rusty

Any information on the quick connection of the teather? Are you close to release?

-Per

Hi Per,

I can’t share too much at the moment, unfortunately. We’re still a few months away, I’m afraid, but we’re making progress!

-Rusty

Ok, thanks for the information.

-Per

I just ordered a set of these:

Cost isn’t too bad and it should work fine. Less expensive than the “wet connect” which isn’t really required for an ROV like this. I got the 4 wire version since my ROV has a sonar.

2 Likes

Have you tested your splice?
how deep did you go?
best,
Doyle

Hi Doyle,

We’ve tested our heat-shrink / epoxy splice to at least 340 meters and it worked great. We might have tested some similar ones in the Crushinator to much deeper than that but I’m not sure at this point.

-Rusty

Hello Doyle,
I work with professional ROVs for a living. I have had potted splices down to over a 1000 meters. If the splice is done correctly It will take the pressure no problem.

Regards
Todd

1 Like

Thanks Rusty!
Thanks Todd!
I’m really interested in looking at SEACON’s bulkhead connector too.

The 7/16" shaft might be a small problem after milling the aluminum flange to fit. Specifically, the end nut may not have enough room to adequately tighten as adjacent penetrator nuts may interfere.

Attempting to use the cable “pig-tail” version: Micro In-Line Connector - 4 Pin Male MCIL4M
will be a little tight to epoxy/seal using the Black hull penetrator from BR.
I’ve seen this method in the forums, but have not read any follow-up.
keep us posted!
btw…any way forward with hull penetrators and mating connector/splice kit from BR?
Thanks all!
Doyle

@rjehangir - What’s the recommended method/tool for filling the heatshrink tubing will potting material? A syringe?

Hi Paul,

I think you could pour it, syringe it, or use a mixing nozzle. The epoxy we used here came with a mixing nozzle so we pumped it in through that. This is a fairly large splice so the pouring is probably the next best option.

-Rusty

Hi Paul,
How did you splice your connectors to the tether? Did you use one of the Scotchcast moulds? Epoxy and shrink tube? Something else?

Thanks,
mg

I haven’t had much time to work on it unfortunately, All I’ve done so far is to pot one of the connector pigtails into a B.R. penetrator (see photo). I haven’t quite decided to whether I’ll use the Scotchcast molds or use a section of shrink tubing as Rusty suggested.

1 Like

What’s that other cable in the red penetrator next to it going to? :wink:

That goes to the Imagenex 852 sonar.

Hey Paul, that’s a good start. So the Seacon cable fit into the BR tether penetrator? I measured up the BR WTE endcap and surrounding penetrators and it will be a very tight fit for the flats on the nuts of the bulkhead (plus the existing hole would need to be milled out to 7/16"), so the pigtail arrangement you have would be great.
Cheers,
Marcus