Sending custom MAVLink commands with QGC

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently unearthed some little-known functionality in QGroundControl that allows configuring custom MAVLink commands to be sent to the vehicle, using either on-screen or joystick buttons! :smiley:

While ArduSub comes with a number of joystick button functions built in, this can augment that, and also allows functionalities like controlling relays and setting PWM output values on other vehicle firmwares (like ArduRover on the BlueBoat!).

Fly View Actions (On-Screen Buttons)

1. Create an actions file, with the MAVLink commands you want to be able to send:
    ~/Documents/QGroundControl/CustomActions/FlyViewActions.json:

{
      "version":    1,
      "fileType":   "CustomActions",
      "actions":
      [
      {
        "label":        "Servo5 HIGH",
        "description":  "Sets servo 5 to a high PWM value",
        "mavCmd":       183,
        "param1":       5,
        "param2":       1900
      },
      {
        "label":        "Servo5 LOW",
        "description":  "Sets servo 5 to a low PWM value",
        "param2":       1000
      },
      {
        "label":        "Relay1 ON",
        "description":  "Turns on relay 1",
        "mavCmd":       181,
        "param1":       0,
        "param2":       1
      },
      {
        "label":        "Relay1 OFF",
        "description":  "Turns off relay 1",
        "param2":       0
      }
      ]
    }

2. Enable Custom Actions in QGC’s Application Settings (access via the top left corner)

• This step is only required for QGC versions before the upcoming 4.5 release
  3. Select the actions file from where you saved it

4. Access the actions when in Fly View, by clicking the “Action” button in the left sidebar, and pressing the relevant action button(s) in the popup at the bottom of the screen

• You may need to restart QGC after the actions file location is first configured
    • The actions popup can be scrolled sideways to see additional actions, if more than a few are available

Joystick Button Functions

The process and syntax for this is changing from the existing stable releases, so there are two sets of instructions depending on which QGroundControl version you’re running.

QGC < 4.5

Instructions for existing stable versions
  1. Create a JoystickMavCommands.json file:
    • The filename is hardcoded in QGC, so must match exactly
    {
        "comment": "Joystick MAV commands",
        "version": 1,
        "commands": [
            {
                "id":       181,
                "name":     "Relay1 ON",
                "param1":   0.0,
                "param2":   1.0
            },
            {
                "id":       181,
                "name":     "Relay1 OFF",
                "param1":   0.0,
                "param2":   0.0
            }
        ]
    }

2. Save it where your QGroundControl instance gets run from
    • In Windows this is inside the folder where you installed it
      • e.g. C:\\Program Files\QGroundControl\JoystickMavCommands.json
    • In MacOS this seems to be the root directory (/), which is read-only
      • This can be worked around by saving it in a memorable location (e.g. ~/Documents/QGroundControl/CustomActions/JoystickMavCommands.json), and then running QGC from in that folder via the Terminal:
        %  cd ~/Documents/QGroundControl/CustomActions/
        %  /Applications/QGroundControl.app/Contents/MacOS/QGroundControl

3. Configure your joystick buttons via the Vehicle Setup options

QGC >= 4.5

Instructions for current development and future stable releases
  1. Create an actions file, with the MAVLink commands you want to be able to send:
    ~/Documents/QGroundControl/CustomActions/JoystickCustomActions.json:

{
      "version":    1,
      "fileType":   "CustomActions",
      "actions":
      [
      {
        "label":        "Servo5 HIGH",
        "description":  "Sets servo 5 to a high PWM value",
        "param2":       1900
      },
      {
        "label":        "Servo5 LOW",
        "description":  "Sets servo 5 to a low PWM value",
        "param2":       1000
      },
      {
        "label":        "Relay1 ON",
        "description":  "Turns on relay 1",
        "param2":       1
      },
      {
        "label":        "Relay1 OFF",
        "description":  "Turns off relay 1",
        "param2":       0
      }
      ]
    }

2. Select the actions file from where you saved it, via the Application Settings in the top left corner

3. Access the actions when in Fly View, by clicking the “Action” button in the left sidebar, and pressing the relevant action button(s) in the popup at the bottom of the screen

• You may need to restart QGC after the actions file location is first configured
    • The actions popup can be scrolled sideways to see additional actions, if more than a few are available
  4. Configure your joystick buttons via the Vehicle Setup options

Relay Configuration

While the servo PWM commands typically provide direct control over flight controller servo output pins, the relay output pins are selectable from the available servo output pins, which needs to be set up in the autopilot parameters before the relay can be used.

:bulb: When using a Navigator Flight Controller it is possible to see the state of the relay pins as 0/1 in the SERVO_OUTPUT_RAW MAVlink messages (e.g. via the MAVLink Inspector).

ArduSub (BlueROV2)

1. Allow the relevant servo pin to be used as a relay output, by setting its SERVOn_FUNCTION parameter to Disabled (0)
    • “n” is the pin number being configured (e.g. 9)
  2. Configure the relay number with the desired servo output pin, using the RELAY_PIN / RELAY_PIN2/3/4/5/6 parameter
  3. Configure the joystick button function(s) as desired

ArduRover (BlueBoat)

1. Allow the relevant servo pin to be used as a relay output, by setting its SERVOn_FUNCTION parameter to GPIO (-1)
    • “n” is the pin number being configured (e.g. 9)
  2. Allow the relay number to be used as a servo output relay, by setting the RELAYn_FUNCTION to Relay (1), and rebooting the autopilot
    • “n” is the relay number being configured (e.g. 1)
  3. Connect the relay number to its servo output pin via the RELAYn_PIN parameter
  4. Set up custom joystick button functions using the DO_SET_RELAY (181) and/or DO_REPEAT_RELAY (182) MAVLink commands, and configure the joystick button function(s) as desired
4 Likes

This is great!

I would like to use a few joystick buttons to change the “WPNAV_SPEED” parameter during an autonomous mission with the Blueboat (either incrementally increase/decrease speed or slow medium fast on 3 buttons).
Looking through the Mavlink message lists, I cannot find anything that would change that parameter. do you have any advice?

Cheers

I found the MAV_CMD_DO_CHANGE_SPEED message. Would something like this work:

{
    "label":        "Slow Speed",
    "description":  "Travel at 1 m/s",
    "mavCmd":       178,
    "param1":       1,
    "param2":       1,
    "param3":       -1
  },
  {
    "label":        "Medium Speed",
    "description":  "Travel at 2 m/s",
    "param2":       2,
  },
  {
    "label":        "Fast Speed",
    "description":  "Travel at 3 m/s",
    "param2":       3,
  }

Agreed! Definitely useful functionality to have, and to know about :slight_smile:

Incremental controls require something to do the calculation with knowledge of the current state, and that generally needs to be built into the autopilot firmware (like we’ve done with the servo_n_inc/dec joystick button functions in ArduSub).

If there’s an appropriate MAVLink command then the three buttons approach should work with the steps I’ve outlined in this post :slight_smile:

I believe that should work, at least until there’s a waypoint that sets a new speed target, or you go out of an autonomous control mode that supports speed regulation.

Note that for the joystick button functions, depending on your QGC version you may need to use the older format for specifying the MAVLink commands.

By the way, I’ve edited your comment to include a link to the MAVLink message in question, and also formatted your file snippet example as a pre-formatted text (/code) block, so the spacing is maintained. The How to Use the Forums post includes a section on what’s available for content formatting :slight_smile:

In ArduSub 4.5 BETA you can use joystick buttons to trigger actions in Lua scripts. You could write a Lua script that waits for a button press and then changes the WPNAV_SPEED parameter.

Here is a script showing how to access the joystick from inside Lua:

Here is a simple Lua script that changes a parameter:

Lua is pretty powerful, and the API is improving rapidly.

/Clyde

1 Like

So as of today, I’m unable to recreate your advised method of creating Joystick button functions. Can you confirm that you’re still able to do so please as well as what version of QGC you’re running? I’m happy to downgrade QGC if needed at this point…

I’m running on Linux for reference. I’m fully able to create a FlyViewActions.json file and have the actions show up, but can’t recreate any part of your Joystick button functions.

Hi @jdragano -
I’d suggest you review @EliotBR 's post again, and focus on the above or below QGC version 4.5 instructions depending on what you’re using! You do need to click the little arrow to expand these details…

Hi @tony-white while I appreciate that, I did in fact already attempt that after ‘clicking the little arrows to expand these details’ - had I not I wouldn’t be posting here, asking for help.

If anyone has constructive advice it would deeply appreciated…

Apologies @jdragano -
I only mentioned the sections under the arrows because it seemed you were unsure which instructions to follow in terms of your QGC version - both new and old are supported.
Have you not found the actions you added at the end of the list when configuring Joystick buttons?

No worries - apologies on my end as well.

But that’s correct, I don’t see the custom actions at the end of the list when configuring Joystick buttons (I do however get On-Screen Buttons with the FlyViewActions.json). I’m using QGC V4.4, running Ubuntu. I put it under ~/Documents/QGroundControl/CustomActions/
Here’s a more in detail look at what I have working/have tried for the joystick commands:

1. I tried saving JoystickMavCommands.json (exactly as given by Eliot) under ~/Documents/QGroundControl/CustomActions/ and running (a) the QGC.appimage from its location in Downloads while in the downloads directory and (b) navigating first to ~/Documents/QGroundControl/CustomActions/ and running the home/Downloads/QGC.appimage from there [essentially the Mac instructions bullet point]
  2. Ubuntu seems to point to a .config file directory where QGC is ran from, so I attempted to also stick the json in that ‘install folder’, but that didn’t seem to work either

i couldn’t find QGC 4.5 or any above? on the github page there is just 4.4

Still I can’t find the 4.5 or above version of qgc. Where is it?

Hi @jdragano,

I didn’t test on Ubuntu (which is why I didn’t include explicit instructions for it), but it sounds like it might have a similar situation to MacOS in terms of how and where it looks for the file.

You could try adding the file to your root directory (which you didn’t mention trying), but if that doesn’t work then it’s likely easiest to install a development release, in which case you can follow the >= 4.5 instructions, which allow you to just select where the file is in your filesystem from within QGC.

If you specifically need a stable build to work then you can try looking at QGC’s logs to see what kind of error(s) it’s giving about the custom actions, but determining the correct process for MacOS was a pain, and the Ubuntu one may be similarly annoying. You can of course wait until 4.5 is released as stable, but I’m not sure when that will be.

I mentioned in my original post that 4.5 is currently in development. There are daily build downloads available here, or if you want a specific time-point you can download the relevant Artifact from the GitHub Action for your operating system (e.g. here are the recent Windows builds).