SAR Activity with BlueRov2

Just a quick post to thank everybody for the help in producing and in helping us setting up the ROV. We already started to use it in few rescues.
Few days ago we were called to search a dam although the conditions were bed in terms of current and visibility we were able to do our job.

Thanks again

Picture taken from:

2 Likes

I used mine in the search for a missing woman a couple of months ago. Nothing found in my stretch of the river, sadly she was located a bit further upstream. A useful addition to the multi disciplinary approach to looking for the missing.

1 Like

It’s a great tool, we often use it associated with a side scan sonar and then to very the acquired target. Very useful also when we search in dams, it save the scuba divers a dangerous search. It would improve it to have the GPS location of the ROV but we are still waiting for the founds to buy it.
Best of kuck

We use ping 360. Takes a bit of interpretation but still useful.

We have a ping 360 as well but we use it more for navigating together with the compass then for active search.The problem arises when you have large portions of sea/lake to search, even if you perform a grid search you can’t know where your rov is and therefore you might miss some portion of seabed.
If you have any good advice based on your experience it would be very helpful for us.

Good talking

Hi,

I believe most victims are found within 30m of where they entered the water. So the first act is to establish that, and then work from there.
If a larger search area is needed , I set the ping to a sensible distance (depending on the search area) and then dive, check the ping 360 and then surface, move and dive again. I repeat this to cover the area. If there is vegetarian in the water you may have to check at different depths due to the narrow sonar beam. Obviously if something of interest is seen on the ping then go and investigate. If it’s a negative, surface note the position and continue.

I think patience is key and try to narrow the area as much as possible before going into the water. If you find the victim there are a number of protocols to follow.

I hope that helps,

Terry Eglinton
TEDrones Ltd

Portable : Capable : Affordable

1 Like