Rov

I know you are busy, but When are we going to see more on the rov

Hi Larry,

We’ve been working hard on the ROV as well. We just ordered some of the production parts and we should have some updates in the next month or so. We’re falling a little behind on our schedule but we’re making sure it will be an excellent product.

Thanks for being patient.

Rusty

Is there any way you could turn the enclosure 90 degrees, so you can put a tilt camera in it? ROVs are so much more useful if you can easily tilt the camera up and down, so you can see all around. (pan is done by turning the whole ROV)

Hey Jim,

Sorry I haven’t gotten back to this. We’ve considered making the enclosure turn 90 degrees so that you could use a tilt camera. Since the BlueROV has six thrusters and six degree of freedom control, you can point the camera in any direction, even without camera tilting.

You could also use a domed end cap on the enclosure with enough space to allow a tilting camera mount. The camera could probably tilt in two axes then.

Best,

Rusty

Having the ROV sit level most of the time is the most natural way to fly it, and having the camera tilt 180 degrees from straight down to straight is just so nice, so you can see all around you. I would do whatever it takes to make it happen. A little history…I got involved with this stuff when my sons were part of a high school team at the first NURC in Chandler. Their ROVs were rather crude, and had stationary cameras with flat lenses. After a couple years we started an “adult” team. We built our first ROV with the tilting camera that could move 90 degrees from straight ahead to straight down, it’s pretty good that way, but our second ROV with the fully travel tilt is so much better. Having a stationary camera looking out the end of a tube gives you tunnel vision, it’s really difficult to figure out what’s going on or where you are.