Remote ROV Control. Zerotier problems

Hi all. Wondering if anyone has any advice.

We are trying to remotely pilot our BlueROV for a science outreach event. We have installed Zerotier and are able to connect from a remote computer but the video feed keeps cutting out after 10-20 seconds. Has anyone else encountered this?

Alternatively is anyone using other options like Teamviewer or Microsoft Remote Desktop? Interested to know what works for people.

Cheers
Joe

Hi @NS3D -
Teamviewer and remote desktop aren’t going to be compatible with any aspect of BlueOS, but you could use them to remote control a computer that is connected to a BlueROV2 and the internet? I would expect performance to be worse with this approach…
Does the video feed cut out completely, or just come in and out? If you’re using QGC, you may have better results with Cockpit for the video streaming over a Zerotier connection. Ensuring both the ROV and your control station have high-speed internet is also key!

Hi Tony

Connecting to a computer via Teamviewer/Remote desktop was the idea, but we had the same concerns about performance.
The video feed cuts out completely. There lag-free one minute and gone the next. We’ll try with cockpit. The internet is also likely a problem, zerotier won’t work with our work wifi (port incompatibility) so we’ve been hotspotting from our phones…

Thanks, I’ll get tinkering again!

Hi @NS3D -
I’m surprised that zerotier doesn’t work on the WiFi - I’ve yet to find a NAT that it couldn’t tunnel through, eventually! If you can get a high-bandwidth connection that supports it, routing video and control via zerotier should provide latency less than 1/2 a second, at least in our own experiences. This was with Cockpit though!