Raspberry Pi4 can be used?

Can we now use Raspberry Pi 4?

Only the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is supported for use with the Companion Computer Software.

http://www.ardusub.com/introduction/hardware-options/required-hardware/companion-computer.html

1 Like

I couldn’t find any new, but i was able to purchase two off of ebay for about $45 each. I also bought a new Pixhawk, but although i researched carefully i now believe i may have the wrong one
which is just ridiculous. What a PITA!

I think they are working on new software/firmware so newer versions of the Raspberry Pi can be used, and getting rid of the Pixhawk
but don’t hold your breath.

You can check the status for 3B+ and 4 here:

We should have a major update in the near future related to this matter and companion in general.

1 Like

Hi Patrick,
Is there any progress for this major update?

We are heavily working on it, sadly I can’t bring any specific date/period for it’s beta release.
The only thing that I can say is that we are aiming to empower the developers as much as possible in companion, and with that, a better and more versatile user experience.

I have seen some teams using Raspberry Pi 4 and jetson nano, so I am guessing this is not impossible. I am not a computer engineer but the one responsible for this in our team told me that we can work on it and it isn’t impossible we just don’t have enough time, so I am guessing we are sticking to Raspberry pi 3 B+. if you get to any point please update us.

There aren’t any official releases yet, but the current work in progress is at this pull request (as mentioned in the issue @patrickelectric linked to originally). I managed to get that working a couple of months ago on an RPi4 including with a Ping360.

Can’t guarantee it’ll work for you, but if you’re willing to play around a bit it might not be too complicated to get set up? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@EliotBR
I checked this PR and it’s working ok.
Do you have any guide how we can have Ping360 broadcast connected to a Jetson Nano to the Pingviewer on topside computer?
I tried adding brping libs and ping enumerator with ping bridge manager but when I run ping bridge manager nothing is detected on topside computer.
If there is anythung more I have to consider you may guid me through.

Hi @farhang,

Which PR are you referring to? The ‘current work in progress’ PR works in general for RPi4, but I made a separate PR to that repo here in order to get the Ping360 working properly (which I describe in my ‘with a Ping360’ link)

I haven’t tried connecting to a Jetson Nano before, and am not certain what setup you’ve got. The PR I mentioned should make the Ping360 appear to the top computer as it normally would with an RPi3 companion computer, so if that works correctly with your Jetson Nano setup then I’d expect this RPi4 version would work too.

1 Like

Thanks Eliot. I got the answer from Daniel via email by the way.
This PR seems working and we tested it.

But we had to switch back to the companion hardware itself (RPi3) since on Jetson we were not able to have the publication to the ports in a stable way. It made us to make a hardware change but now everything is working ok.

1 Like

Glad you managed to get it sorted. It’s a shame you weren’t able to get your system working on your intended hardware, but hopefully you’re still able to accomplish all that you planned to with the RPi3 instead. :slight_smile:

1 Like