Ping360: scanning speed on a remote Raspberry

Hello everyone,

I’m new here. I’m running some test with Ping360 connected via serial and via UDP on a remote Raspberry Pi (I’m using pingproxy.py on it). When connected via UDP, I noticed that the scanning speed is about 3-4 times slower and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it faster.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Hi @LoreGen, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Are you using our companion image, or have you installed the bluerobotics-ping python library and are actually using pingproxy.py as you mentioned?

We normally use ping360_bridge_manager.py on our companion computer, which runs a compiled bridges program, which has decent results for me:

If you’re not using companion and are for some reason unable to use the bridges program then if you installed bluerobotics-ping through pip or before yesterday then it might be worth installing from source on the master branch instead - we added some performance improvements to it yesterday that should at least speed it up a bit (max ~27% I believe, so not really comparable to compiled speeds but still better than current), but they’re not yet in an actual release (on either PyPI (for pip) or GitHub).

2 Likes

Hi @EliotBR,

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I installed bluerobotics-ping python library and I was using pingproxy.py.
Today I tried to install bluerobotics-ping from the master and I didn’t notice any difference, but with your companion image it works fine.

Thank you again!

1 Like