Lost vehicle connection

I experience lost connection to the vehicle every now and then. I see a trend that it happens if the ROV is in stab mode or depth hold mode and the tether drag is sufficient enough to get the ROV out of level.
Switching to manual mode resolves this issue as no vehicle connection loss occurs in that mode.
I am sure that there is something buggy in the system that leads to this occurrence. The depth sensor may also go crazy showing depth like 8000m or so.
Hopefully, this can be looked into as when operating at a depth, let’s say following a cable, and the ROV blacks out for 10 seconds, you might not be able to relocate the cable again.
Can the heartbeat be set to more than 3 sec? Maybe that will help, but I doubt it.

In my opinon operational endurance is paramount. All warnings, alarms etc are secondary to operation.
It should always be up to the pilot to decide to call an “all stop” The little red warning triangle is enough to notify the pilot of any issues (and there is also audio). No shutdown/reboot or big on-screen display warnings should occur, ever!
Even if the water is pouring into the vehicle you might have to finish up a task. The last thing you need is distractions.

1 Like

Hi Oystein,

Sounds to me like you are having comms or processor issue.

Could be due to the tether. How long are you using?
Did you observe this issue if the battery is fully charged or is this with your 24VDC supply?

What download/upload speed do you get if you go to: 192.168.2.2:2770/network

Did you try swapping pixhawk an Rpi?

Cheers,
E.

It sounds like a physical issue, not a software bug. It also appears related to voltage sag - this will explain the difference in manual vs stabilized mode. If you go sideways in stabilize mode, the motors all spool up to fix it, this doesn’t happen in manual mode.

The depth sensor may also go crazy showing depth like 8000m or so.

It’s already been explained that your sensor is damaged, a physical issue.

The failsafe settings may be adjusted in the Saftey tab of the Vehicle Setup page (click the gears icon).

You are a professional, but we must cater to users generally and most are not professionals. If a vehicle is leaking, we need to notify the user visually and audibly. Beside that, I agree that the vehicle should remain operational whenever possible. The warning does not prevent operation.

The vehicle won’t shutdown or reboot by itself, if this is happening, it is likely a hardware issue. It will disarm (configurable failsafe setting) if it looses connection with the pilot. This is necessary because the pilot is not in control in this case and normal operation is not possible.

Remember that you are free to change the software to work in any way that you want it to. If you would like to request a feature or bugfix that should be applied generally, you can also do that in the ‘issues’ section on github.

I changed the depth sensor and that problem got solved. I had a hard time to accept it since the “old” sensor also was brand new out of the bag and only used for testing in the tank and it was making trouble from day one. The com loss is not due to powerloss alone as it also happens when the ROV is on deck in “idle”. Communication lost / communication regained happens now and then. Should I try changing the RPi or pixhawk mayby?

I had a hard time to accept it since the “old” sensor also was brand new out of the bag and only used for testing in the tank and it was making trouble from day one.

You should get a refund if you reach out to support@bluerobotics.com

The com loss is not due to powerloss alone as it also happens when the ROV is on deck in “idle”. Communication lost / communication regained happens now and then. Should I try changing the RPi or pixhawk mayby?

How frequently does this happen? Under what conditions? (maybe hot sunlight or only after powered on for n minutes)