Installing an IP camera on an underwater vehicle

Good day. I do ROV on ArduSub.
I would like to apply IP samara in ArduSub. Is it possible to do this as in the picture?
I want to install a router in the dialed unit. Connect an IP camera with H264 to it. Can I display the image on it in GroundControl? If not, then you can put another router at the top. And display the image on another computer. In the future, I want to simultaneously make an image from several cameras - a review up, forward, down, back. And how to add a picture to the forum post?

It’s possible, but Blue Robotics does not currently support it.

If the ip camera supports rtsp streams, yes QGC can display it.

This feature is requested by many and we are working to have a supported solution.

Drag + drop, copy + paste should work.

1 Like

Thank! Picture added. Today I checked such a scheme as in the picture. Checked without top router. I connected the IP camera. She was assigned 192.168.2.101. Router 192.168.2.13. Pi - 192.168.2.2. On the top computer, I launched both QGC and a browser in which I displayed an image from an IP camera. I wanted what I wanted. I now see both QGC and a camera image on top of it. Applying several IP cameras under water, and putting a CCTV program on my computer, I can see both QGC telemetry and images from various cameras, forward, backward and to other sides. The screen needs a big one. Or, as I have in the picture - put a router upstairs and connect another computer, where to bring all the cameras. I planned to install the router below, as I want to place the Lowrance StructureScan block under water, and put the Lowrance HDS into the boat.

2 Likes

this is super cool and it solves a problem i have been having for a long time which was how to how to use ip cameras without having to buy another fathom x . i have some questions which i hope you can answer

• what kind of router is needed for this.it will be helpful if you can give me examples of routers that i should use for my topside and bottom side

• how would i connect my all of my ethernet wires. would i connect my laptop to the WAN port on the topside router and have my fathom X connected to a LAN port and then in the bottom side would i connect my raspberry pi and the ip camera in the LAN ports and then connect the bottom side fathom x to the WAN port?

• how would you make QGC detect the raspberry pi and not the camera. where do i enter in all the IP addresses for all the things connected?

• is it possible to connect one Ethernet wire to one laptop and another Ethernet to another laptop so i can use QGC on the one laptop and view the IP camera on the other?

• what kind of software would you use to view the IP cameras. you mentioned using a CCTV software. could you also mention how to set the cameras up and view them. if you have a link to a set of instructions that would be wonderful

thanks again for taking the read my looong list of questions :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Good day! It was only my first experience (although probably the second one. The first time I cut the cable between Lowrance StructureScan and HDS and connected them via WiFi via normal routers. I needed the helmsman to have one HDS and a scientific group in the cabin).
1 I used a regular router TPLink, which I have long been unnecessary. I think that you can take any. For the underwater unit, I will search for the dimensions of the board. Narrow and long (that would go the size of the tube with electronics). Upstairs use what you find.
2 Have not tried. I think no. Probably you need to connect the routers via the WAN port, and connect all the cameras, laptop and UI to both the top and bottom of the LAN.
3 QGS communicates ONLY with the address 192.168.2.2 and it is not interesting to him that there is a camera nearby with a different IP address. If my IP camera supported H264, then it would be possible to try to connect it to the QGC via RTSP specifying its real IP address 192.168.2.101. The address in the camera, the address in the router was flashed manually. For each router it has its own program. I did through the WEB interface of the router and camera.
4 The laptop has one network card, so we use it only to work with the device. Here is the second router (or switch) at the top and is needed to give a signal from IP to it.
5 Not yet thought. But there seems to be a huge amount of them on the market. I have a CMCClient on my computer. Will work with arbitrary cameras - I do not know.
I say it again. I am only at the beginning of this journey.

I apologize for bad english. I translate into English with Google

1 Like

thank you so much for all your help. you really changed things for my team and you helped us save a lot of money. Thank you so much again!!!:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

@jjabraham You will probably enjoy learning about network switches.

Just looked at it and im super excited!!!

1 Like

USB powered Gigabit Ethernet Switch for underwater use? (Remove the cover to save space.)

I think that it is necessary not only to remove the cover, but also to remove the RG-45 connectors. wires directly take up less space. You can remove the two switching pads in the unit’s tank, also shortening and biting off the excess length of the wire and soldering directly. There must be plenty of space.

1 Like

Maybe…here is the gigabit ethernet switch without its cover…relatively small, USB powered, and screw holes for standoffs etc.

Switch

2 Likes

What i do is, instead of having IP cameras ‘downstairs…lol’, since i’m using an 8" diameter WTC, i put a CCTV DVR board in the WTC and connect 8 analog cameras to the DVR, then connect the DVR to the Router. Since i’m using a vdsl modem/router combo upstairs and downstairs, i also retired the fathom X boards. This gives me onboard SSD recording and 8 camera feeds topside.

1 Like

And…
Since the Pixhawk is kind of limited in how many servos/ lights it can control, i only use it for thruster control. I connect an SSC32 servo controller to the R Pi via I2C, which allows me to control 32 servos, lights, etc.

1 Like