Gazebo 7 simulation setup

I have been trying to install and run the Gazebo simulation for the BlueROV2 model. My system is a Windows 11 laptop with Ubuntu 22.04.3 (Jammy) and Gazebo 7 - which was installed from the binary installation here: Gazebo. After running the install again I can run the 4 shape demo using: gz sim shapes.sdf and it opens perfectly fine. Next step was to install the freebouyancy_gazebo plugin from: freebuoyancy_gazebo/README.md at master · bluerobotics/freebuoyancy_gazebo · GitHub. When I run the install lines I am getting an error:

What causes this and how can I resolve it? Any help or links to other threads that resolve this is greatly appreciated.

The freebuoyancy_gazebo project works with Gazebo Classic, and AFAICT it is not maintained.

The good news is that Gazebo Garden has a built-in plugin for buoyancy, so you do not need it.

This project is a good starting point for getting a BlueROV2 model in Gazebo Garden: GitHub - clydemcqueen/bluerov2_ignition: BlueROV2 model for Gazebo Garden

Thanks for the reply Clyde! I was able to get your model working with Gazebo Garden - I had someone explain to me the difference between gazebo classic and ignition. My problem was that I didn’t have the colcon packages installed to build properly.

For anyone just starting with a project and not sure about the workspace environment on your device this may help. If you want to use the Gazebo Garden you should follow the source install instructions here: Gazebo. Be sure to double check any of the export commands that they are for your device file system. The basic file system should look like home/colcon_ws/src/bluerov2_ignition and if you git cloned the ardupilot_gazebo repo onto your home location home/ardupilot_gazebo - check the export commands in Clyde’s github above may clear things up.

1 Like