DXF chart as background map for Qgroundcontrol

Anyone experienced with uploading a DXF file format or other vector or raster maps for that matter as a background map for qgroundcontrol? Thanks.

Hi @odedezra,

QGroundControl apparently doesnā€™t officially support custom maps, although it does allow using Mapbox as a map source

and it may be possible to upload a custom map to Mapbox and then use it in QGC. Mapbox seems to support both vector and raster map tiles, but Iā€™m unsure whether QGC can handle vector ones. Unfortunately this process is not something I have experience with, and Iā€™m unsure whether the Mapbox stuff would require a paid account.

As a potential fallback option, I tried exporting some map tiles and they get exported to an sqlite3 database, which can be studied and modified programatically or in an application like SQLiteStudio. Accordingly it may be possible to replicate the relevant structure but use your own custom map tiles instead, although doing so would likely take some work to figure out a suitable process.

Iā€™ve also brought this up internally, in case anyone has some experience with this kind of thing.

Hi @EliotBR Eliot!
Thank you very much for this info! Iā€™ll go and check this software Mapbox and see if it can do the job.
I can also recommend using QGIS, an open source software for anyone who is interested in using a more professional navigation software that can display vessels, vehicles, many different types of background maps and much moreā€¦

I think having an option to upload background maps of different formats would be a great feature on BRā€™s future operating/piloting software, it may be worth considering that.

1 Like

That is indeed being considered :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might re-awaken this thread. I think the solution will become more important as some of us start to get into georeferencing data. Did you have any success @odedezra ? Iā€™m trying to do the exact same as you I believe.
I want to import a points into QGC also. We recently got the waterlinked DVL. I want to plot the co-ordinates that we want to navigate to. Iā€™ve opted for Mapbox. It seems more straightforward than the ESRI route.
Mapbox: I set up the Mapbox API. I uploaded my points as a dataset and converted to a tileset. It all appears to map correctly in the mapbox viewer.
QGC: Now I want to map this data in QGC. QGC allows me enter my username/style ID but it doesnā€™t appear to allow me to add a tileset of my data. It allows me to change the background maps to other publicly available maps but I do not see where I can add my tileset. Was this the same problem you experienced last year and did you overcome it?
Many thanks,
Gav

Hello @GavXYZ

We ended up taking a more ā€˜classicā€™ solution as we do in offshore projects which is to separate the control software (qgc) from the nav software. We started using QGIS which is a free open source software (together with PosiView plugin) that you can use to upload your maps and input live position from gps and other mobile vehicles, it works well for us. We can use both softwares on one laptop or use separate laptops for that matter.

Oded, that is excellent. Yes, sometimes the simplest solution is best. I know QGIS. I use it all the time for mapping. Itā€™s got a great community of developers. I wasnā€™t aware of that plug-in so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

1 Like

Happy to help, I work it will work out fine for you!

Iā€™m playing around with this today Oded but Iā€™m running into some difficulty with Posiview. I have QGIS background map working.
Iā€™m uncertain what settings should be used for sending nav data from qgroundcontrol to QGIS.

Iā€™ve tried setting up the UDP connection by creating a comm link in qgroundcontrol and setting the address to 0.0.0.0, Iā€™ve also tried 192.168.2.1.

But I canā€™t seem to pick up the UDP signal in QGIS.

Did you use a ā€œcomm linkā€ or some other type of connection? Also did you use UDP, tcp or serial?

Hi Gav,

Iā€™m first sending GPS and USBL data into QGIS and then sending a position string from QGIS to QGC over UDP (see attached photo). You also need to enable NMEA input in BlueOS.

1 Like

Thanks Oded. Youā€™re a champ! Iā€™ll give it a go next time I have it out.

1 Like