Home        Store        Docs        Blog

Building a an ROV2

(Julian Hancock) #1

Hi

I am a hydrographer by profession, I work with big work class ROVs and have always wanted to own one of these beasties myself.

I love the look of your product and would like to know a little bit more about the software. I have a unix back so I am familiar with the command line and I am a fan of OSX.

However before I take the plunge (excuse the pun) do I need to be a geek with respect to programming and controlling the ROV.

Thanks

Julian

(Paul) #2

Short answer: No, you definitely don’t need to be a computer geek to operate a BlueROV2.

Longer answer: You will need some basic computer skills to configure and update the topside software and ROV side firmware. Basically if you can install a computer program on a computer and follow directions, you should be fine.

If you want to modify the code yourself (in other words you decide there is a feature that doesn’t already exist and you have a burning passion to have that feature) then yes, you will need some programming skills to go in and modify either qGround Control and/or ArduSub. Fortunately, the code is all open source so you have that option (almost all other ROVs operate with closed source software).

(Julian Hancock) #3

Paul

Thank you for replying to my post.

One further question I have how do charge the battery, do you need to remove it from its water tight housing each time?

Julian

(Paul) #4

@Julian - Yes.

(Rusty) #5

Julian,

Thanks for the post. As Paul mentioned, you definitely don’t have to be computer geek but it’s helpful if you have good technical skills. We’re working hard to make the ROV as easy and foolproof to build and operate. If you end up getting one and running into any trouble, we’ll be happy to help and we’ll try to fix those issues for future users.

-Rusty