BR Low Light Camera breakup latency after change to BlueOS 1.1.1

Hi, I would love some help with this issue.

I am running a HP Probook 440 G7 with 16G RAM. It is about 4 years old and is on Windows 11.
I was running a BR Low light Camera into a Raspberry Pi V3 Model B and the old companion software.
That system was damaged and I bought a new electronics housing including camera and navigator and loaded BlueOS V 1.1.1
I am having a lot of trouble with breakup and lag from the camera, even at 640x480p and getting worse from there with higher resolution. Before this upgrade my system was fine, even with a 1080p stream.

I have eliminated any possible tether issues by going straight from the Fathomx bottom side wired directly to the FTXI Fathom x and then by printer cable to the
Laptop. I am getting good data speed on network tests most of the time, but sometimes it drops a lot to 1MBs or less. The data speed does vary a lot.

I am presenting the video in Open Broadcast Studio on my laptop. When I plug the camera in directly to the Laptop as a USB Camera everything is fine at highest resolution. When going through the BlueROV network I get short periods of good video then pixellation and latency of a second or more.

Has the video encoding changed from the old system to BlueOS? I saw a post about similar issues Suffering from latency and low resolution with Camera

A BR engineer suggested using the omx encoder
https://developer.qualcomm.com/qualcomm-robotics-rb5-kit/software-reference-manual/application-semantics/gstreamer-plugins/omxh264enc

Could this help with my issue? Could someone please help me through exactly what commands I would need to run this encoder?

Any help would be very much appreciated. I have an urgent job to do with this machine and need to get it running properly.

Cheers
Dave.

1 Like

Just to clarify. The network tests are run using the BlueOS network test. Even with 50MBs up and down I am getting breakup, lost packets and latency. It seems very much like a processing issue rather than a network bandwith issue, although the bad processing may be causing choking of the bluerobotics network?

Hi,

I’m facing the same issue, especially regarding the lag, in both BlueOS v.1.1.0 and v1.1.1. I got download/upload at 70 MBs and I have no drops when doing the network tests. What is strange is when I first connected to the vehicle after updating, everything seemed to be fine, but after a minute or so I started having lags and frames seemingly breaking. I tried to flash the SD card with v.1.1.1/0 again, but I still have the same problems. So, you might not be solely alone with this problem.

I ended up reverting to v.1.0.x for now, unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks Bent. So was yours fine on v.1.0.x then?

Pretty good on 1.0.x (Just confirmed it was 1.0.2). I do have occasional frame breaks, but they don’t occur frequently (a few times every minute)

Thanks Brett, I’ll give that a go.