4K ip camera Latency issues

Hello

Is it not possible to stream 4k from a ip camera,through Ethernet Switch and Fathom-X Tether Interface Board without too much Lantency?

There is no lantency,when i use the second Stream its 1080P (see picture,for settings)

when I started the BlueOS Lantency test, stream of Low-Light HD USB Camera (1080P) and ip camera (1080P) was active and bluerov2 was disarmed.

I get about 56/50 Mbps ,tether is 150 meters and is from seabotix.

Laptop i use with bluerov2 is: ASUS ROG STRIX i7-7700HQ with GTX 1050ti.

What is GOP, in the setting of ip camera?

The recording of 4k video is saved on SD card down in bluerov2, but pictures are not saved on SD card.

Hi @an-ron

The bandwidth consumption of a 4k IP camera, at its maximum quality, varies between 12000-20000 Kbps, therefore the average consumption is usually about 15 Mbps so this is not the problem. I have some 30 Mbps connections and transmit 4k IP cameras without problem at their maximum data rate.

The PC you indicate should be able to view the live camera without problems, but it all depends on how you are streaming. For example, through a web browser, most 4k IP cameras fail to offer a fluid image without latency, I never use the web browser except to configure the camera.

I always use dedicated software (IVMS-4200 from Hikvision or DSS Express from DAHUA), since they are specific software designed for streaming. With these two softwares you should be able to see the live image without latency, with small adjustments depending on your PC.

If you want to use Qgroundcontrol via rtsp, your PC is not enough, to view a 4k IP camera in its maximum quality through Qgroundcontrol you need a much more powerful PC. I myself created a post in this forum to find out why Qgroundcontrol could not transmit with the same latency as the third-party software that I indicated before.

My conclusion was clear, through third-party software, even using gstreamer directly via the command line in CMD, I can view the 4k IP cameras without latency at their maximum quality with less powerful PCs, but not in qgroundcontrol.

I thought it was a problem in the pipeline, but I changed my PC to a much more powerful one with Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050i graphics and the problem was resolved, now in Qgroundcontrol I view all my 4k IP cameras from different manufacturers at their highest quality. So I understand that due to the construction structure of Qgroundcontrol, a very powerful processor and good graphics are needed to achieve quality streaming without latency.

Regarding your question about GOP, simply means Group of Pictures. The group of pictures (GOP) structure is the sequence in which frames are placed within a video stream. The GOP structure always includes intra-coded frames (I-frames) and predictive coded frames (P-frames), but it can also include bi-directionally predictive coded frames (B-frames).

This setting should ALWAYS be set to the same value as the camera’s frame rate. If you are adjusting the frame rate the GOP should automatically adjust itself. If this is not the case, adjust it manually.

With dynamic Group of Pictures (GOP), the interval between I-frames is adjusted dynamically, based on the amount of the motion in the scene. I-frames contain the whole scene and are usually larger than P-frames which only contain changes compared to the previous frame. In scenes with limited or no motion, very few new I-frames need to be sent, so the overall savings in the bitrate and bandwidth are considerable, while still maintaining the required level of detail. The GOP length of the compressed video is adjusted in real-time, according to the amount of motion.

Best regards
Andrés

2 Likes

HI, Andres

I didn’t know there was a difference, using a browser and dedicated software to stream 4k.

I have now try IVMS-4200,looks like my ip camera doesn’t work with this program ?

when I bought the ip camera, it came with a program called video surveillance client

I installed video surveillance client software,the software found the camera right away and i can now stream 4k without Lantency and recording video in 4k to my pc through Ethernet Switch and Fathom-X Tether Interface Board.

Thank you,Andres :grinning: :grinning:

Camera must be on Treaty type: GSFP and use port: 8080 without Lantency,if i use Treaty type: ONVIF i get Lantency

Do you now what Treaty type: GSFP is ?

Protocol TCP or UDP is there any difference,what is best to use ?

I have set GOP to 25,same as camera’s frame rate.

There are many ip camera software on the internet,but camera need to be in ONVIF.
If i use ONVIF,what can i adjust on pc/settings to get without Lantency on (rtsp) ?

when you take a picture with video surveillance client software,the picture is 3840 X 2160 but its has only size from 300 to 600 KB ? (it should be 3-5 mb or?)
There are no settings in the video surveillance client software to choose quality of picture.

When i use browser to take picture,the picture is 3840 X 2160 and size is from 3 to 5 MB

when I compare the pictures,looks like the quality is the same also when I zoom in on the pictures.

I don’t quite understand that ?

1 Like