IP camera can't connect

Hello @EliotBR

I am testing a new model of IP camera 4k 30 fps that I transmit to qgroundcontrol by rtsp:// protocol

I have tried all the encoding systems that qgroundcontrol offers (DirectX, software, etc) and I have even forced qgroundcontrol to run with my PC’s GPU, but still if I set the camera to its maximum quality (4k/3840 *2160/h265+/30fps/CBR/Maximum bite rate) has a lot of latency, as you can see in the attached video at the following link:

If I reduce the image quality, the latency improves, for example in the following settings: (3072*1728/30fps/ h265+ /VBR/ Bit rate Best quality) or (4k/30fps/h264/VBR/Bit rate best quality ) or (4k/25fps/h265+/VBR/Bit rate best quality). These transmissions have good quality, but without a doubt at their highest quality and a significant improvement is noted.

Thanks to your comments about gstreamer 1.0, I have decided to test this camera directly through gstreamer 1.0 by command line in CMD, and my surprise has been great, since I get an almost instantaneous transmission, with excellent latency, according to the following pipeline , as you can see in the video below is the pipeline:

gst-launch -vc rtsprc location=rtsp://admin:123456@192.168.2.15:554/video1 ! decodebin ! autovideosink sync=false

My doubts are: If qgroundcontrol uses gstreamer 1.0 for video display, why is there such a big difference in latency? What exactly is qgroundcontrol’s pipeline for the rtsp:// protocol?

I think the problem lies in the qgroundcontrol pipeline. In your previous comments you commented that this pipeline cannot be modified without creating a new version of Qgroundcontrol. Would it be too difficult to simply change qgroundcontrol’s rtsps:// pipeline?

I have tested the connection by gstreamer with the same pipeline for 3 different IP cameras, all 4k h265, and with all of them I have the same result, a perfect latency with gstreamer and very late with qgroundcontrol. Therefore, I think it is worth reviewing this topic.

On the other hand I have written a small program through python to control the zoom and focus by cgi commands, and it works very well, so if the visualization in qgroundcontrol was better, the integration of the camera would be perfect, to use in BR2 with the design I do with this camera as you can see in the following photo.

Thank you very much for your help or that of other forum members.

Note: @etienne I hope you have found the solution to your rtsp connection

Andrés

1 Like